does any one work with an insurance agency - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-08-2007
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default does any one work with an insurance agency

A little back ground information:

Purchased new road bike (push bike) as a package for $3000 on Monday the 30th of July)
Purchased new accessories for bike for$300 on Monday the 30th of July
Got hit by a car on the first ride home form work at night: (Priceless) on Tuesday the 31st of July….this is entirely his fault as he did not look before opening his door right in front of me causing me to run into his door
1. A well Illuminated street
2. A known bike bath (has the council bike symbols painted on the ground)
3. A had one flashing forward flashing light and rear flashing light as required by law

Now im having trouble with insurance (AAMI) as the amount they offering will not cover the cost of a new bike or the repairs to the old bike
Repair cost = $3400…..higher cost contributed to labour and buying individual parts
New bike = $3000…little labour cost as it comes as a package and all components are bought as a set.
Offered amount by insurer $2600.

How would I go about getting the full amount to replace the bike?
As I was riding home from work…will "work cover" cover the cost of a replacement bike?
Are AAMI doing the correct thing by not offering a amount to replace or repair the bike?
Should I ring the dude who hit me…..and ask him to make up the difference?
Old 13-08-2007
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

Hope you didn't get badly hurt in the accident mate

I think you can get a letter of demand made up for the cost of repairs or replacement bike and submit it to him? and not use your insurance company at all but i'm not in the industry mate
Old 13-08-2007
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Stu - Workcover (QComp) is coverage for injury health care, rehab and lost wages as a result of an injury at a workplace and when travelling to and from your place of employment to your residence only (generally up to letter box of your place of residence, does not have to be a designated or direct route - which is a common misunderstanding of the regulations) and even then your employer is required to pay the first four days wages, if you want to know more ring me. Has nothing to do with claiming for your damaged bike.

With regard to the insurance claim, I would have thought that the owner of the vehicles insurance should be covering the damages mediated by your insurer (if you have one, i.e. home and contents etc.). If you want I can see my neighbor, he's an exec with IAG to find out more.

Last edited by Fat Chili; 13-08-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 13-08-2007
Muppet

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AAMI is trying to screw you. But you shouldn't be dealing with them.

Your claim is with the other driver. Present him with a letter of demand asking for what you feel is the correct amount to cover ALL your costs. It is upto him to send that on to his insurance company.

If you don't get a pay out in a reasonable time frame, sue HIM. AAMI is his insurance company - not yours.
Old 13-08-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Count your blessings, Still healthy, I would either grab the money or go the drivers insurance company.
I had the same happen to me, $2000, damage to my $5000 road bike. The driver said he would pay for the damage, he had no insurance. The coppers who arrived as the scene actually told me they did not like my chances of getting money out of the guy, they were so right.
The thing that really pissed my off, was that they didn't even give him a ticket for any thing, he was parked on a bus stop.
Good luck with it, I can see the funny side, I crashed (fell off cornering) a new bike on my second ride.
Old 13-08-2007
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i left a message for the lady who's looking after HIS claim to call me to explain how they come up a figure way below the quoted price to fix it.

After i explained that she was using the initial purchase price (value) and not the quote to fix to determine her figures she apologies for making the mistake and informed me that she thought it was a quote.

(Understandable because the big lettering at the top of the paper that reads TAX INVOICE can be misleading at times.....as apposed to the other piece of paper that had QUOTE written on top....thats a "gimme")

She mentioned to me that she thought i had intended to fix the bike as it was in my possession....and not the at shop who wrote up the quote.

(well no shit, the bike shop didn't want a messed up bike on their show room floor)

But now i will hand the twisted pipe of alum. and carbon fiber to AAMI and they will issue a cheque to the bike shop for another one......they figure they can get $200 for it off EBay....no shit! that what they told me....good luck to them cause it will still take big $$$ to fix it anyway...who is that stupid.

i put on my best phone voice and the lady over the phone was nice up until the point that she started to laugh when she relished that i just bought the bike the day before, and this was the first time i got to ride it.

WOOT! i won....maybe i should of not posted...i was too hasty but the dude who rang me to tell me that they were not paying the right amount was not the case manager nor new what was happening and there fore could not answer my questions like How? and why?

Oh i was not hurt in the accident.....VERY LUCKY!
Old 13-08-2007
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
Count your blessings, Still healthy, I would either grab the money or go the drivers insurance company.
I had the same happen to me, $2000, damage to my $5000 road bike. The driver said he would pay for the damage, he had no insurance. The coppers who arrived as the scene actually told me they did not like my chances of getting money out of the guy, they were so right.
The thing that really pissed my off, was that they didn't even give him a ticket for any thing, he was parked on a bus stop.
Good luck with it, I can see the funny side, I crashed (fell off cornering) a new bike on my second ride.
Wouldn't his compulsory third party insurance as part of his registration cover damage done to persons and property.....i thought that's what its for.

And yes im am very greatfull that im not hurt.