Grand Willys Project - Page 250 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
Being a flat windscreen, on my TJ, daily driving it I get at least one cracked windscreen a year. It seems to crack so easily even with just a little stone being thrown up around town on bitumen roads.
Weird as my CJ7 was flat and never had a problem in many years of driving it.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 02-02-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Looking good! Great to see your progress
Old 02-02-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Being a flat windscreen, on my TJ, daily driving it I get at least one cracked windscreen a year. It seems to crack so easily even with just a little stone being thrown up around town on bitumen roads.
Funny you say that, we are on our 5th JK windscreen in 5 years as well. It seems they are a consumable
Old 03-02-2021
LokRinger

Maybe newer ones are under more tension?
The flat screens I pulled out of both the Willys cabs were very old and marked up from years of road driving.

My web site:
Old 03-02-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Maybe newer ones are under more tension?
The flat screens I pulled out of both the Willys cabs were very old and marked up from years of road driving.
Could be. New stuff might be glass from the province of Shanghai?

I put 200,000kms on an Audi I used for work travelling Mackay / Townsville and Cairns / Townsville. Got hit by heaps or rocks and even part of a disintegrating prime mover, everything just glanced off the steeply raked windscreen. Then, three weeks before I got rid of it, I changed the wipers and my hand slipped. The wiper frame crashed down and shattered the windscreen!
Old 06-02-2021
LokRinger

Quote:
Could be. New stuff might be glass from the province of Shanghai?

I put 200,000kms on an Audi I used for work travelling Mackay / Townsville and Cairns / Townsville. Got hit by heaps or rocks and even part of a disintegrating prime mover, everything just glanced off the steeply raked windscreen. Then, three weeks before I got rid of it, I changed the wipers and my hand slipped. The wiper frame crashed down and shattered the windscreen!
Or the windscreen frame made from a lighter gauge steel!

My web site:
Old 06-02-2021
LokRinger

I had a couple of centre bars, both inside and out, that cover the join in the middle of the windscreen. While both inside ones were fine, the outside ones were rusted out at the ends.

Rather than try and patch up the best one of the two, I thought it would be quicker, and a better result, to replace it. I practised on the worse centre bar to make sure I could form the ends which was just done over the end of the bench with a mallet. I then folded up a new outer skin. Folded in the brake as far as I could and then hammered over the fold the rest of the way.

I made the flanges much wider than needed as they fold easier that way. Then trimmed them down to the final width.

Rather than add a crease in the folder at the beginning, I just ran the tipping wheel up the centre to give it some definition. This way it doesn't go into the area at the ends that will be formed next.

From the best centre bar I was able to use the back piece that the screws thread into from the inner piece. The inside of both pieces were first painted before being slid into place. The flanges hammered over tightly and then the very ends of the bar tipped over a cold chisel clamped into the vise.

The dog leg shape at the ends was bent to 45* one way over the edge of the bench before being tipped back the other way further along. They follow the profile of the seal perfectly.

Testing to check fit with the templates in place.

I am using the donor rear vision mirror. I had kept the mounting piece that is normally glued to the centre on the windscreen from the donor. I shaped the back of it to suit the profile of the inside bar. Just unscrewed the original Willys mirror and drilled and countersunk a hole so I could mount it to the bar.

The new mirror just slides over the mount as before and is tightened with a grub screw. Once the inner and outer bars are mounted together over the divider part of the seal, I will plug the mirror into the wiring harness already installed.

The crease now continues the peak that runs up the centre of the bonnet and into the roof. These were painted satin black or body colour from what I have seen. I will go with the former most likely to make it blend into the rubber seal. Did think about a chrome look and would have made it from stainless steel if I wanted to go that way.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply