AMC 360 Rebuild - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default AMC 360 Rebuild

Well, due to a lovely lady who doesn't know what a stop sign means.
I lost my last FSJ (really said as it was fairly rest free).

With the insurance proceeds bought another & the wreck back.

The replacement is a mechanical sieve! & has major machical issues.

I will swap the diffs & springs from the wreck over as the these are shoot & need to be rebuilt(can't afford it all, just yet).

On a positive not the replacement has had a lot of time spent setting parts of it up. Enough said as it was a FSJ known on here.

My Question:

Who has had a AMC 360 rebuilt & where?
If you did it yourself was there any thing speical to look out for that is much different from a 308?

Looking to rebuild it over the next 2-3 weeks as I want to do an outback trip in it in June.

Thanks for any help & advice given
Old 22-04-2014
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

I have fully recoed a 360. The price and quality of the parts will shock.
I recommend you throw it in the bin and convert to a Small block Chev.
Old 22-04-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

...or LS1 if you want it engineered [emissions] according to a recent post on here.
Old 22-04-2014
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Bah humbug.

Here's what I did:

Heads were redone with new springs, the best of a large box of stock valves from four heads, new guides and seals, and a three angle valve seat job. $700. I did get a bit of a discount cos I knew the guy. He had a fair bit of prior knowledge with AMC V8's, and also slightly smoothed the port floor and cleaned up the turn radius on the intakes.
Cam and lifters, Crow mild gas/towing $450
Edelbrock performer dual plane manifold $400
hEi Style dizzy $175
Holley 670 truck avenger $650
Doug Thorley headers from BJ's off-road $800
New timing cover, gasket sets top and bottom, oil pump and SS mid plate, dual row timing chain set, umm,,,, can't remember. $500? All from BJ's.

Some other stuff I guess like good 8mm HEI plug leads, new plugs, SS oil filler tube, new dipstick etc.

The bottom end was good, newish stock pistons and bearings, block had been cleaned and bored.

In reality, the basics wasn't much more than a chev or ford.
On a dyno it made just under 300hp with only a 470cfm TA ( the 670 was a lot better, never dyno'd it though).

If I was doing another mild Chero, I'd do a 360 again, sure. It ran great off-road, turned 37's, sounded unbelievable at 4500rpm......

If chasing 400hp+, a chev 6.0 out of a club sport would be my pic. But then, engine mounts, radiators and cooling, fabbing all sorts of brackets, Adaptors, changing tailshafts, fly by wire throttles........ You'd spend a pile of cash just putting it in and hooking it up.

Cheers

Last edited by Richo; 22-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 24-06-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's not a Jeep/AMC anymore when you put a Chev in it might as well by toyo

I am in the process of getting my parts for a rebuild of a AMC360 that's in a 1979 CJ7 with th400 (2nd stage) auto

To date starting at top of motor all new parts I have purchase

Edelbrock air filter black & polished alum
600cfm 4 barrel Holley
Edelbrock manifold
Edelbrock rocker covers black & polished alum
Bosch alum high flow water pump
Power steering pump
Mallory HEI Dist with built-in coil
Mallory spark leads
Bull Tear timing case cover, with remote oil filter, oil pump, oil pick up,
Bull tear SS oil filter and 360 engrave cap, dipstick and tube.
Harmonic balancer
360 honing plate
Up market racing timing chain,
SS welsh plugs
Full gasket kit
Tuff stuff alternator
AMC V8 Serpentine kit
New complete Painless wiring loom

Things to come
Magnum Roller Rockers AMC V8 - 1442-16
Comp Cams 260H Cam and Lifter Kit or similar
New piston, rings bearing
Port heads and manifold
Blue print and balance
All AMC engine oil mods
Electric fans
Headers maybe if I can have them come out in front of rear wheels
Old 24-06-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherren View Post
It's not a Jeep/AMC anymore when you put a Chev in it might as well by toyo

I am in the process of getting my parts for a rebuild of a AMC360 that's in a 1979 CJ7 with th400 (2nd stage) auto
What about the GM transmission, Ford starters, Ford ignition systems, Chrysler transmissions, Renault fuel injection etc etc all found on 'AMC Jeeps'? The first V8 fitted to any Jeep was a Buick

But would be interesting to hear how this goes as I had thought about AMC but had heard similar stories of higher cost, lower quality parts etc when compared to a chev

2012 JK Unlimited
85 CJ8 Overlander
83 Overlander build

Last edited by The Buzzcutter; 24-06-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 18-09-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hope you were able to rebuild your 360 Hunno. I didn't mean to hijack your thread it's gone a little quiet, and since the topic is on rebuilding the 360, I was wondering if anyone in Oz has resleeved one of these blocks? I have a feeling mine's gone well past .040"