Perils of mollycoddling - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-12-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts
Default Perils of mollycoddling

Have been poking around my li'l town for over a month...could hear the fan 'roaring' into action..indicating a 'burn' was taking place...every time I shut it down for the past month..or so.
Tonight I am Uber/Sober Bob for the Brides works Xmas Party...took her to the local shop to get bits n pieces for her Party enroute to the venue....stopped at the shop..all good...started the bus and drove about 100m...bing...Engine Light and Electric Throttle Light (red) came up and the Service Exhaust needed...See Dealer now...message filled the evic screen...having had this before and knowing its been attempting a 'burn' for a month or so I knew what was going on...DPF was chockers...stand on the go pedal and no get up n go at all...dropped the Bride off and headed outta Town to hit the open road...no turbo boost but can sit on 110kph...no power to go faster and CANT select a lower gear to give it higher revs...travelled 40klm and pulled up...rang my friendly after hours Mechanic...read: Drover...and as always I was guided through a few steps to check a cupla things....car was off at this stage...hit the go button and the Electronic Throttle Light and evic message are gone...Engine Light still on but Drover said.."ignore it..it'll hang around for a bit"....got back on the Highway and STOOD ON IT !....FULL power and advertised factory top end achieved.....all good....at around the 60klm mark in the round trip the fuel economy gauge went from 11.9/100 to 6.9/100 (was downhill)...time I got home the reading was 8.3/100....engine was quiet...no roaring fan....all good.
Moral to the story: give it shit and dont mollycoddle it....and...give Drover a call...lol...THANK YOU mate !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 15-12-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 15-12-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,580 Times in 4,357 Posts

One of the great things about AJOR is that you can normally find a member that has been there done that. Keep up your issues FARWEST & you will be considered one of them!
Old 16-12-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Glad to hear it came good .................. drive 'em like you hate 'em and they will run forever or so they reckon for diesels, well 2 strokes anyway and it seems these as well.................... Missed your good news call later I was at the pub for a feed...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-12-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,147 Times in 607 Posts

Interesting FARWEST...I have had mine do the same thing on a couple of occasions...last time was up in Derby. Same thing wouldn't accelerate hard at all, I think it topped out at 3,000 rpm from memory.

What I have found is that while you are still driving it after that initial DPF warning comes up it doesn't matter what you do it won't start to initialise another burn...but...if you shut it down for 5 or 10 minutes it will reset itself and when you restart the engine it will start to initialise a burn.
The fan in mine doesn't go nuts when a burn is going on...it used to but had that attended to via the S49 recall I think it was.

...I know mine is going to the DPF burn stage as the exhaust temp starts to rise above the normal continually going up and up to around 700c, it then takes maybe 10 minutes sitting around 2500rpm for the burn to complete and exhaust temp to fall back to the normal 300c - 350c.

The CEL does go out after a couple of ignition start cycles as well...
Old 16-12-2023
Rock Munki

There could be more meaning in that Jeeper6.
Perhaps the first 40klm @ 110kph/2250-2300rpm in my 5 spd didnt produce a burn at all ?(thats a GPS 110kph...around 112-113 on the speedo)
It was the shut down at the turn around point then pedal to metal boot off the line followed by another 20klm of 110kph which actually produced the burn and cleaned out the gunk....Italian Tune as its called.
This is the second time it has happened...last time I paid RAA to do a forced regen with the guidance of Tam at All Grand Cherokee...cant thank that wizard enough...use of the device cost me $60....most on here have purchased a device and can do it themselves.
This time I went the 'cheap skate' method and took it for a run...Battery loves me for it in any case...motor idles smoother with less 'rattle'....not belarus tractor rattle but still enough to be noticeable if you know your car and are listening for changes.
Pretty sure its ALL a sign of toooo much 'salt mines' and not enough 'fun times'....thats my take on the whole thing....perceptions vary from differing viewpoints.
MUST be time to hook up n 'van life it' for a while...surely ???
Gotta agree Drover...these engines behave VERY much like a 2 stroke diesel....load it up and/or run it hard and its happy as the proverbial 'pig in ####'.....no hard runs and they behave like a second hand lawn mower...as the old ad used to say."It wont happen overnight, but it will happen".

Old 16-12-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,147 Times in 607 Posts

...read an article a while back written by a diesel mechanic who states what to me has been the obvious for a long time.
That is too many people bought them selves a JGC diesel, (or the RAM in the US from 2014), due to the advertising hype mainly about amazing fuel economy of the diesel...honestly, they should have stuck with a Toyota Camry or some such butter box...as never was it ever mentioned in the hype that a diesel is a totally different engine to the petrol, and needs additional care and attention if you want it to perform and live.
Jeep also put a double overdrive gearbox in to their products, and recommended a very thin oil so as to achieve better fuel mileage which just put further strain on an already strained engine...that helped...not!
(...also of the failed VM's it has been noted that close to three quarters of them were 8 speed, not the 5 speed...lower engine revs, lower oil pressure to already starved crankshaft journals)

So of course these people went out and bought themselves a you beaut Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and proceeded to use it as a shopping trolley, as well as lazily extend the service intervals even further than the ridiculous maximum 16,000 kms and 12 months log book services recommended paid the price.

Their Jeeps never saw the highway and proceeded to clog up and fail at very low kms...leading to a plethora of complaints and Jeep's reputation going down the toilet as Jeep also failed to follow up with any back up service at all.
Stellantis is paying for that now...they had to drop the diesel and generally buyers are extremely gun shy of the product.

The fellow in his article went on to mention that it has been noted that the VM diesel owners who give it to their Jeep and drive it hard find the engine lasts a hell of a lot longer...300,000 MILES has been achieved in some cases. Certainly there are Jeep 's with the VM here that are approaching 300,000 kms without any major dramas.

Going back to when diesels were gaining popularity...before our Federal Government decided to add an additional tax to diesel fuel as mostly trucks used it...to "fund" the roads. (Back in the 70's when I was a young truckie, we had to fill out daily "Road Tax" form of kms travelled in any truck over a GVM of 22,000 kg's so they could be taxed accordingly)
Anyway, I digress, back then oil and filter changes were recommended at a maximum of 5,000 kms or 3,000 miles on any diesel powered vehicle...even more often if the diesel was subject to difficult conditions. Then come regular fuel filter changes of course...so a diesel WAS always more expensive to run than a petrol, but due to the then lower cost of diesel it was still quite economical to have a diesel, and they did live longer when treated and serviced correctly.
Yes, oil and filtration is a bit better these days so those service intervals can be extended a bit, but not to the ridiculous as some people expect.

So...drive the Jeep a bit hard, keep the revs up and make sure it gets up to full operating temp...preferably every time it gets started...regular oil & filter changes go without saying...the DPF will love you for it too...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 16-12-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 16-12-2023
Rock Munki

Yep....bought this as my tug....the old rangie was my daily...it died (normal fuel pump issue for that model...HUGE ball ache job)...and the tug became the daily...creature comforts took over n the ball ache job on the Rangie got waylaid....havent had the time to do the 'normal' retail therapy trips for the bride so the tug has been poking around town with no 'leg stretches'....havent even been doing the monthly trip I did yesty to charge the battery and 'blow out' the gunk...soooooo....this aint a brand issue...this is a driver/owner issue...manner operated.
Only difference here is I'm not up in arms screaming poor quality and looking for a KC (hard to say after 62yrs of QC) to take legal actions to compensate my own actions...thank you America for your friggin maniac Law system that the idle and obnoxious now use in our Country to benefit from their own ignorance/arrogence/incompetence...oops...let the obvious out...back inside you go.

Post New Thread  Reply