Select Trac vs Quadradrive - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
I ended up in getting the CAN Bus Filter from the guys from jeepwjs.com.
I was wondering why you hadn't tapped me on the shoulder to do some soldering for you. All good.
Old 10-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
I think I would prefer an ARB front locker if I ever needed more ‘bite’.
My setup is rear varilock and front air locker. It absolutely rocks! The front locker is especially helpful when climbing up awkward rock steps. I only need to get one front wheel to "bite" and it lifts the front end up the step - then the rear just seems to follow. I doubt the varilock, particularly a 20-year old one, could provide enough lock-up torque transfer to do that. My limit on rock steps is now the entry angle, not traction. If I can get the bullbar over it, I can climb it. (I have tried a couple where it did not fit under the bullbar and couldn't get up without rock-packing.)
Old 10-06-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
I was wondering why you hadn't tapped me on the shoulder to do some soldering for you. All good.
I was actually waiting till I can reliably going to the Gold Coast and make it back before I contact you. I think it am now at that point. I wanted to save some money since I spend already quite a bit more than I was anticipating when I got the car. However, I then reread the info about the CAN Bus filter and realized that I still can reuse my NP242 I have lying around for quite a while now with this device. Would have been a shame to let it go since not so many are out there to get.

I am in the process to salvage my V8 an take everything out I need and then transfer it over step by step over the winter. Once spring will be around the corner, I will reach out again.
Old 10-06-2022
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
My setup is rear varilock and front air locker. It absolutely rocks! The front locker is especially helpful when climbing up awkward rock steps. I only need to get one front wheel to "bite" and it lifts the front end up the step - then the rear just seems to follow. I doubt the varilock, particularly a 20-year old one, could provide enough lock-up torque transfer to do that. My limit on rock steps is now the entry angle, not traction. If I can get the bullbar over it, I can climb it. (I have tried a couple where it did not fit under the bullbar and couldn't get up without rock-packing.)
This sounds pretty much like the setup I will have on the V8 and will have on the CRD. The Airlocker is indeed great. I was able to get to places where I saw several Landcruiser and Patrols fail to go. I prefer front over rear locker if I would have to decide which one I go for. Since I will have a 6.5 Inch lift the bullbar barrier will be not so much a problem for me. I had more trouble with the steering damper or other low hanging parts which can easily be ripped off or damaged. I am also going to relocate the steering damper when the new axle goes in as well as move the bump stopper from the axle to the spring bucket. Not sure how I am going to do this but the hockey pucks are already bought a year ago and am planning to use them.
Old 10-06-2022
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
Why not tune the TCU?

I've read that ring gear spacers are a tricky endeavor, as the ring gear is centered on the carrier, so unless the spacer has provision for centering the ring gear, it's risky.
That is certainly something I am planning to do sooner or later. I am closely following what you, RBT and JeanLuke are doing. But this is something entirely new to me so I will focus on getting all of my goodies from the V8 transferred over and then I can focus on such kind of activities.

I have the right ring gears for the Dana 44a already. They should fit on the carrier of the CRD without any issue. If not I will simply use the V8 carrier and axles and bite the bullet. I have set up my Dana 30 just a couple of days ago without sophisticated measurements and instruments. All I needed was a dialling gauge for the backlash and make sure that the pattern on the ring gear matches the expected outcome. Took me a while and did some back and forth but now it is perfect.

Last edited by JoergM; 10-06-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

When I once worked out the spacer thickness I recall it was around .300” and the would likely to still allow the ring gear to locate correctly on the carrier.
Post New Thread  Reply