Perth to Sydney - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-06-2015
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Report in from the QAA line today : east-west is good traveling, west-east is chopped up badly on almost all dunes. apparently people have been doing QAA with trailers going west-east this year.

Roads were closed recently at Tibooburra area from recent rains, but should be all clear by the time you get there.
Expect 16 hour drive roughly from Alice to Mt Dare if you take the highway, probably 10-12 hours if you take the dirt give or take.

otherwise, have a good trip, it looks like you have a firm plan.

Last edited by NTRubicon; 30-06-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Cheers guys. I've no idea where you put all this stuff? I guess you must have the back seats folded down. I'm going to be stock suspension and alterains. I think I will be fine, I think the corrida tigons will be the worst but I'm going to give the jk a good pre run on some shit roads I know of to see how she goes.
Old 02-07-2015
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLN View Post
Cheers guys. I've no idea where you put all this stuff? I guess you must have the back seats folded down. I'm going to be stock suspension and alterains. I think I will be fine, I think the corrida tigons will be the worst but I'm going to give the jk a good pre run on some shit roads I know of to see how she goes.
Manage your tyre pressure and your speed appropriately and the corrugations are manageable. Keep an eye on your shocks for any oil around the join between upper and lower (sign of failure) and be wary that after a while the shocks will harden a fair bit, as the stock shocks are prone to fade (stiffen from bouncing up and down too much) then the corrugations will get rougher. Hard to predict when shocks will fade - lots of variables (ambient vs shock temp, speed, size of corrugations, weight on board, etc.) but you'll feel it in your bones.
Old 02-07-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
I have removed my back seat and built some drawers. Laying the rear seat down gives extra room but not as much if they r out, which is not an option for you. The OE all terrains are all terrain pattern but not really all terrain tyres. Nevertheless I used mine on plenty of outback roads. I did get a puncture here and there tho'. Definitely take a tyre repair kit with you... about the size of a small tissue box with extra plugs as I mentioned. Your trip does not seem to be that far away from resources and help (except the Connie Sue/ Lake Carnegie bits) so I would not worry too much. I never think it is a good idea to travel corrugations at speed. Better to lower tyre pressures and to go slow.This will minimise tyre issues and breakages. I think if you can take a spare front and rear spring and shock... these will not take up too much room. A pre-run won't tell you much. Save your money.The JKU over these roads will be fine... I have taken mine on a lot worse. Also, there is more room in the JKU than appears 2B the case. Use tough plastic boxes and make sure they r tied down we'll and you will be amazed how much u can take. First priorities are water, food, fuel.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 02-07-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-07-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I can give you spare std springs and shocks free if you need them. They just clutter my shed and I'll never use them.
Can also help you with std wheels and tyres as well if you want. Goodyear Wranglers. These are complete with low air sensors and I'll throw in the air.
Old 02-07-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Gold!

Roof rack for lighter stuff, perhaps.
Old 02-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks guys, yes I will not be traveling to quick on the corrugations. Thanks for the generosity wazza, I thing I will take you up on that. I have a single drawer with the fridge on top. That leaves the half of the passenger side and will lay that seat down. The roof has the jame baroud RTT so that means no bedding or anything in the car. If the roads get to rough I will just turn back or slow it right down and only drive for an hr with a bit of a break. Either way I am confident in the JK. Love it more than the gu now glad I made the change.
Post New Thread  Reply