bush fires - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Oh and one last very important tip that caught me out the first time a bushfire went through, make sure once the danger has passed and you are unblocking your gutters that you disconnect your downpipes from the rainwater tank. Otherwise all the dirty sooty water goes straight into your tank and you'll have to flush it out!

and as said above, make sure your fire defence plan doesn't rely on mains water or mains power as you probably won't have either! If its your house and you plan on staying there for a while, its worth buying a dedicated fire fighting water tank and petrol fire pump.

Last edited by hillsjeep; 06-02-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

azasjeep where are you there are fires up my way top end of the coast
Old 06-02-2009
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tomorrow will be bad. I hope the cops catch the maniacs that will be out lighting fires. Stay safe!
Old 06-02-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
an attended house has a 70% better chance of survival than an unattended one
fill gutters and wet as much as posible use anything you can to store water a bath kids pool what ever as when the big red trucks turn up they will suck the mains dry so there may not be water for your house
rake up leaves away from the house and block up any openings because its not the fire you have to worry about its ember attack small glowing particles blowing in the wind they can get under eaves or under the house or in open windows so be aware of this
another one i have seen cause problems even with well prepared homes is the door mat those coir fibre mats burn well
if you have an empty weed and feed bottle these are great if you buy black and gold dishwashing concerntrate about $1a bottle put one of these in the weed and feed bottle and fill with water then hook it on your hose and spray it will put a blanket of foam out which basicly is stopping the water from running off or soaking in it can help a lot
i hope this helps a bit

from your friendly firey
Tiny
Well said Tiny.
Just a few more things, close the curtains t stop the radiant heat, remove plastc pots from near the house, the mat like you said, and alos the BBQ gas bottle. Ensure all gas vents are facing away from the house
Old 06-02-2009
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

If staying with your house to defend it; wear appropriate clothing to protect yourself from radiant heat etc. I.e. long pants, boots and a long sleeve shirt, if you have a hard hat wear it (it's not a fashion parade), other wise a wide brimmed hat is better than nothing as are AS1337 approved safety glasses or goggles and filtered dust masks (or a damp bandanna?).

Where possible ensure that the clothing is made of a non-nylon/polyester material; wool / cotton products are best even though you will get hot in them they may save you.

Most importantly "DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD BY EMERGENCY SERVICE PERSONNEL" they generally know their shite

Last edited by Fat Chili; 06-02-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2009
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks FC and Aussie i was running form memory and it aint running real good as we have our own fires so lack of sleep is setting in i know there are some other fireys on here that will probably ad as well
the other thing is most fire services have a website eg www.rfs.nsw.gov.au for NSW www.cfa.vic.gov.au for victoria these will have info and quite often a 1800 number to get info about the fire from dont be afraid to have a look also if you have fires in your area please stay safe houses can be replaced

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 06-02-2009
Time to tinker

Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

The thought of the amount of flamable crap in my garage would be the main thing I'd worry about.....
Whilst the gas cyclinders (oxy/acc/Arg/lpg) are probably ok in most small fires, the petrol/diesel/2stroke I have about wouldn;t be so nice......Then theres the paint and miscellanious turps/metho etc - Like one big molotuf cocktail ......
Post New Thread  Reply