You’re going far from civilization. What spares/tools do you bring? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default You’re going far from civilization. What spares/tools do you bring?

You are taking your XH or WH out bush. I’ve got a CRD so I’m most interested in that but let’s hear from petrol people as well.

You’ve only got one boot, so you can’t take one of everything. And besides, you’ll only be able to take basic hand tools so you won’t be doing anything to fancy anyways.

So, what’s in your boot? Thinking common failures that are a pain in the batoot to acquire while in the middle of nowhere, or simple things you’d be SOL without - like fuel hose and clamps.

Side-question: say you have access to a XH/WH that is being wrecked. You can have anything you want. What do you take and keep in the shed?
Old 29-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Personally, I would be taking a solar powered espresso machine.
Old 29-01-2021
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When I crossed the Simmo I think I had a

2ft long breaker bar and 19mm socket (wheel nuts)

Torx bits and (I think) an 8mm spanner that fits the torx bits to undo the bolts holding the prop. (I took a complete spare front prop shaft)
& a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm and 15mm spanners

a couple of ABS sensors (torx bits again)

a front hub, socket to undo hub nut and sockets to remove brake caliper.

OBD 2 code reader

4.7k ohm resistors

A hammer and a box of matches

p/s
I have a whole WH as spares
Old 29-01-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m a fitter and turner and tend to go overboard in this department, I went in my 80series from Brisbane to the territory and back

I took this kit that I got as an apprentice and added a few things like taps, files, thread file, soft hammer, hub socket, centre punch, scribe, 6in and 12in rules, a couple of different sized brass drifts, drills sized appropriately for taps as a random assortment. I also took a cordless drill.

I would not take a cordless rattle gun unless you have impact sockets, last thing you need is to break a socket 800km from town.

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/tools-...tns/p/08580145

My 80 shat the transfer case selector in town in longreach on the way home so we just called RACQ and the towed it back to Brisbane seeing as we were on the way home anyway and we caught the bus, do not catch the bus... pay the extra $700 and fly... trust me.

Upping your road side coverage to the highest leave a monthly payment or 2 then downgrading it a payment or 2 after the trip is well worth it. This is what we did and it saved us a shit ton of hassle.

Spares: front and rear wheel bearing kit, spare belts, hoses, some engine oil, brake fluid, power steer fluid, spare unit joint for tail shaft, spare axle stud kits & bolts, filters, high temp grease.

It was just myself and my missus at the time with no kids so I pulled the back seat and inside the car I had clothes, bedding, 80L fridge, tool box and a box with my spares and random stuff like mozzie coils head lamps etc. on the roof rack we put the RV 5 oztent. I pack to keep CoG as low as possible so while some things could have gone on the roof rack, due to mass and security reasons I kept them in the car .
Old 29-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
When I crossed the Simmo I think I had a

2ft long breaker bar and 19mm socket (wheel nuts)

Torx bits and (I think) an 8mm spanner that fits the torx bits to undo the bolts holding the prop. (I took a complete spare front prop shaft)
& a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm and 15mm spanners

a couple of ABS sensors (torx bits again)

a front hub, socket to undo hub nut and sockets to remove brake caliper.

OBD 2 code reader

4.7k ohm resistors

A hammer and a box of matches

p/s
I have a whole WH as spares
And a heap of zip ties?
Old 29-01-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Unflsahed FDCM
Old 30-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

This I think is my 1000th post here!!!!!

The most important thing to pack is common sense.

I have done many remote trips in a highly unmodified car. If the engine bay is in good condition, hoses and clamps and SOS tape are the must have spares. If you know what you have changed or what needs changing, you should not experience any surprises there. The 4.0L I6 for me has been a no brainer.

The problems I have seen with others broken down, is under vehicle issues. They either have not driven to the conditions or something has snapped due to fatigue. There have been times where even 40km/h on a track is too fast because you might not be able to see a deep pot hole until your front wheel has sunk into it. Steering gone. You see this on YouTube a lot. Tyre failure is a common one. Two spares is a must with Tyre repair or changing equipment. Of course take the air compressor and it's important to run on low pressures, blah blah..

Apart from recovery gear, a decent tool box, a rented satellite phone, and/or UHF radio with a print out / knowledge of frequencies used by the local outback stations is a must. Space is limited, and weighing the vehicle unnecessary could lead to other mishaps.

Edit: a jumpstarter like a power tank is a must. It can help restart a car with 'electrical issues' until you can crawl into a road house.

Last edited by eksjay; 30-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply