Tonys Cherokees thread - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I still have to ascertain if the torque convertor lockup system is working,

dont think it was before, and its hard to tell, but I got my fingers crossed

need to do some driving at higher speed, its gets a signal from the PCM via the brakes, and RPM is supposed to change at 55MPH if brake pedal is tapped

It would also be possible for me to tap into the connector that I mentioned or PCM and run an LED in the cabin to check

You are right about the Trans shop, when I got the seal the fellow estimated $1500 to swap my trans in, dont know whether they would have checked the solenoid resistances though
Old 01-12-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

My 95 XJ has the power/economy switch. It really does work.
I use my touch screen economy gauge to see what fuel economy i am getting at different speeds.

On economy, my torque converter locks up in top gear at about 55/60 kph. When it locks up, i can feel the revs drop, and the economy gauge shows really good fuel consumption. This is great for around town.
If i use the power button, the torque converter doesnt lock up until 70kph, so the engine is still revving quite high and economy takes a dive. I don't use the power button around town as the speed is to high before the torque converter locks up.

My gearing and tyre size are different to yours, so your rpm and speed may be different to mine before torque converter lockup.
You should be able to feel when it locks in. The RPM become stable and even when you lightly squeeze the footpedal to increase speed, the rpm wont jump several hundred.. it will just slowly increase incrementally with the speed.

Cheers,
Old 02-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I thought that switch was for an ejector seat?
Old 05-04-2021
Full Flexer

gents,

an update;

had a 3rd go at my clicking/chirping/whirring front DS wheel

not the plastic Jeep hubs I mounted(on the Ford wheels)

not the grooved out brake caliper slider arm

(altho both these helped),

have all parts to rebuild front brakes from Rock Auto..that was next

but today, changing wheels, I notice the fker is making a noise and realise this is almost certainly cause the Ford alloy wheels had to be made hub centric with a die grinder, (only the fronts to, altho I did all 5)

after a bit of lube and the other wheel (with good tyre) goes on, what do you know...seems silent at last..we will see

Been working feverishly on my ARB/Disc/D44 rear (after waiting over 2 years to start). After a lot of aggravation, I rejected the used Pinion, so have ordered a new Ring & Pinion from Rock Auto $210 delivered

I got most of my bearings from them too, Timken much cheaper than Oz.

Interestingly, I have found the Salisbury/Jaguar diff parts fit, same Pinion bearings, ring & pinion ratio, U-Joints

I considered a conversion, as I have the needed parts, but decided to just stick with the Dana, as there are some complications

Should be here in 2 weeks
Old 05-04-2021
Full Flexer

2nd update

I strongly recommend fitting a trans temp gauge

I feel for sure that cooking the trans is too easy to do, and you have no way of knowing without one

Mine is fitted in the oil pump outlet port (on pre-98 XJ, deleted in later models)

imo, this is by far the best place to fit it, as it shows temps in the heart of the trans.

I have verified with an IR gun that it runs at a much higher temp than other places, ie +10C hotter than pan, and +20C hotter than cooler

It is certain that you could overheat them at slow speed in lower gears, where the torque convertor is not locked up, especially when climbing hills.

Mine came close several times, max temp 105C

If the trans temp gauge where to show over 110C, that would be enough for me to stop so it could cool

mine runs at about 85C after 1 hour in traffic, but drops to 70C on the open road (TC is locked).

This is unless the weather is quite cool

It is my opinion that heavy off-roading you would be insane not to have one fitted, mine cost less than $40
Old 05-04-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Yep, i have the engine watchdog, which gives me a readout of the engine and transmission temps, and also gives me an audible alarm if they creep up to high.
Ive only found my tranny temp get dangerously high while 4wding in thick sand in summer..

Cheers,
Old 06-04-2021
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Yep, i have the engine watchdog, which gives me a readout of the engine and transmission temps, and also gives me an audible alarm if they creep up to high.
Ive only found my tranny temp get dangerously high while 4wding in thick sand in summer..

Cheers,
Yes an audible alarm saved me once with a split radiator tank

What temp do you set the audible alarm for the trans temp at ?

(presumably it is adjustable), and the engine for that matter ?
Post New Thread  Reply