NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 38 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-01-2019
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Last year I told FCA I was changing the alternator at my own expense since I didn't want to risk getting stranded. When I asked what recourse I would have if a recall was eventually posted, the answer was "good idea, keep your receipts". Do I think they'll honour that if a recall comes out? Not without a substantial s**t fight, I'm sure.
Old 25-01-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

What really frustrates me on top of FCAs attitude is the toothless wonder the ACCC is with their lack of response to this issue.
I would encourage any diesel owners with alternator issues to contact ACCC regards to the safety issues involved with the alternator failure.
How many failures do there need to be to to justify a problem.?
It still annoys the krp out of me.
Cheers
Old 26-01-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Anybody who owns a WH Grand Cherokee will tell you about the N23 transfer case debacle where over half a million vehicles world wide did not have low range for years.This was a world wide safety recall !I had to drag FCA to court and eventualy won compensation etc.
Has anybody actually had the faulty alternater diodes replaced or found out what the real problem is.I have an 2012 WK2 Overlander in NZ where I am travelling at the moment.You need a bloody power station to run the electrics in these.6 year old Agm battery not doing my nerves any good especially after some of the trails I have been on.Load tested ok ,but !.?
Old 14-02-2019
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Default Failed alternator on 2012 CRD

Well, now its happened to my Laredo. My wife driving in peak hour traffic, battery light comes on, aircon stops, wipers came on (that a bit strange), loss of power, engine dies!! luckily she had presence of mind to roll up onto the median strip as she was in outside lane of three.

So, get towed home as RACWA would not assess it in dangerous location. They then attend my home and diagnose alternator failure. Another tow to RAC service centre, confirmed failure. Fortunately they were able to source a replacement (genuine), there was one in Melbourne and one in Perth so the latter arrived next day.
Due to having to take off bash plates etc to get at it labour was going to exy.
While at it replaced the Serpentine belt for good measure (as you would).
All good, no, test the 3 year old battery, needs replacing as now not holding voltage, alternator failure said to be the cause due to the load during the failure.
$2,185 later with RAC Gold member discount now all okay.
I've kept the alternator to see if I can find someone to assess it and then who knows maybe I can try and approach FCA. Don't hold much hope though.
Old 14-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Thommo your story reaffirms my thoughts that keeping an eye on the state of your battery might allow you to avoid the alternator drama. I try to watch mine as it cranks at least once a week... and I've been putting a DVM on it periodically of late also.

$2200 after discounts makes my eyes water [emoji22]
Old 14-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Maybe roll around with something like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/cigarette-...nitor/p/QP2220
Old 14-02-2019
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Hi Barboots,
You may have missed my point, my post refers to the dozens of other posts on this thread. The alternator failed and should have been part of the recall and should have been extended to the diesel variant not just the petrol motors, I do monitor the battery along with my second battery in the back. The point is the alternator failed just as many others have.

Thanks for the input though.
Post New Thread  Reply