thinking about buying a JK - think again - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thinking about buying a JK - think again

not to repeat zerosecta's comments, but i too have reached that point.

Enough is enough, i'm mindful of the fact that some JK owners have had a trouble free run, and i wish the best of luck to them as i know of none that haven't been in for a "known" issue

i have submitted everything to Fair trading this afternoon, i too hope to be going to a Pajero/Prado or similar SWB asap.

this is the scary part:

Dates vehicle has been at the servicing dealers workshop, not including many additional days it has been in my possession and faulty and/or awaiting to be taken to the dealer for necessary repairs

Took delivery of new JK Wednesday Oct 14th 2009

Thurs 15th October through to Tues 3rd of November, 2009 – 14 business days
Wed 4th of November through to Wed 11th of November, 2009 – 6 business days
Mon 30th of November through to Fri 11th December, 2009 – 10 business days
Mon 1st of Feb, through to Fri 5th Feb, 2010 – 5 business days
Mon 22nd Feb 2010 onwards, ETA unknown expecting at least another 2 weeks – estimated 10 business days

NB: 45 Total business days spent at service department, since October 15th 2009
45% of the total period I’ve owned it (calculated to Thursday 4th of March 2010)

I still like my Jeep, however there's no excuses, anyone that purchases a new car shouldn't be left to deal with this amount of heartache and i'm just not seeing the value from it

I feel its only common courtesy to share this with prospective JK owners

Last edited by jeepdate; 23-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 23-02-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

absolutely no argument here mate. totally agree with your decision. the vehicles are substandard and there is NO factory or dealer backup. if you buy one and it's faulty you have to be prepared to fix it at your own expense. this is totally unacceptable. this forum has been flooded with unhappy owners (including me) since they came on the market. most are gone now (who knows where). but it is the way chrysler operates and it won't change. but here in australia we are used to australian, japanese and some european vehicles. these are american build and it is the way the american market operates unfortunately. so you ha e two alternatives, live with the problems or move on. totally understand and respect your decision. get rid of the problem, cut your losses and move on with your life. good luck to you. now stay tuned while i get flamed for supporting you.
Old 23-02-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi Jeepdate

What does the dealer reckon is wrong with the Jeep. Ask him details. I am feeling sorry for you but I reckon it has more to do with the dealer than the Jeep. New cars will always have some problems that's what the warranty is there for but it should not take this long to fix.

I had similar experience when I put the Jeep in for servicing with high pitch whining coming from the idler pulley and a burnt 12V power outlet (my fault). I was told to pickup at 2pm. got a phone call at 2 that they are still investigating. Got there at 5 and they told me they have diagnosed that the power outlet is burnt (it was a five minute job not an 8 hour one), and the mechanic couldn't hear the whining (probably had the earmuffs on when listening to the engine). I wrote an email to their service manager and was booked in again. This time they told me to leave it overnight. I refused flatly then they said pick it up at 5. I said I am not leaving and I need to get to work by 3pm and I lose money every day I take off work so cant take time off work(that was true no bluff). guess what the car was fixed by 11am).

Ask them to explain whats wrong with the Jeep and put some pressure on them. Dealers and mechanics only want to do lube servicing anything else is too hard for them. You have to exert some pressure sometimes to get what u want.

Sorry again and hope they resolve the issue and u stay with the Jeep family.

mani
Old 23-02-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
absolutely no argument here mate. totally agree with your decision. the vehicles are substandard and there is NO factory or dealer backup. if you buy one and it's faulty you have to be prepared to fix it at your own expense. this is totally unacceptable. this forum has been flooded with unhappy owners (including me) since they came on the market. most are gone now (who knows where). but it is the way chrysler operates and it won't change. but here in australia we are used to australian, japanese and some european vehicles. these are american build and it is the way the american market operates unfortunately. so you ha e two alternatives, live with the problems or move on. totally understand and respect your decision. get rid of the problem, cut your losses and move on with your life. good luck to you. now stay tuned while i get flamed for supporting you.
Disagree with your main sentiment here David.
However; challenges’ are met with all vehicles when purchased and often any miscommunication is the service consultant not necessarily the dealer itself.
I had dramas when I picked up my JK and was not satisfied with the level of service or repair but standing my ground and politely but loudly (if you know what I mean) demanded better, Oh guess what; I got what I needed and the service improved no end (I was appointed another service consultant).
To cut along storey short: 3 months later all was good and now over two years later they know me by first name and all work that needs to be done is quick, precise and with a smile...
Had lousy start to finish with bitsamissing and the car was sold and still not working...
However; Drove toyo's for most of my life and I have always found the dealer that I used, to be very good (4 purchases including 2x Prado).

Sorry to hear about your problems Jeepdate and I hope all goes well for you.

Just remember that Paj, Prado etc are IFS and are not 4x4’s they’re 4wd... yes there is a difference.

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 23-02-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

No offense, but so glad I didn't buy your car Jeepdate (i was maybe 1 weekend away from putting a deposit on it if the one I bought hadn't popped up).

Seems like i have run into much the same issues as yourself though unfortunately.

Mine hasn't been off the road as much as yours though. Its had a similar amount of problems and the exact same issues with the rear diff lol. I guess your car is the same as mine...just with a different colour.

Last edited by Yom; 23-02-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23-02-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
the vehicles are substandard and there is NO factory or dealer backup. if you buy one and it's faulty you have to be prepared to fix it at your own expense.
agree with the substandard part, disagree with the backup/fixing part
Old 23-02-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi jeepdate, I agree with what you are saying and I took gravels line with dealer they to know me by my first name now too... LOL, and they have ordered the next two things on the list, that being heavy duty damper and diesel fill repair, I was totally broken and even thought of pushing it off a cliff or burning it, but have worked through it all and am reasonbly happy now, besides I didnt drive my JK for six months so the ks are lower than they would have been....LOL
Post New Thread  Reply