Mild groaning sound when accelerating uphill - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 186 Times in 118 Posts
Default Mild groaning sound when accelerating uphill

Does anyone know what can be generating this noise?

Car is always in the right gear. Generally noisy anyway, but there is an extra layer of noise that can be heard when accelerating uphill.

The noise can be felt under the drivers side of car.

Drive shafts are original.

1995 sport 4.0L

Further to the above, the transfer case is set to Full time 4wd. When I put the transfer case lever to 2wd, the noise or vibration is not present. Something might be going on with the front driver side wheel... Bearings?

Last edited by eksjay; 25-04-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 26-04-2019
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

could be a hub? if it only happens in 4x4
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 26-04-2019
Full Flexer

Thanks!. There is definitely something emerging from the front drivers side wheel area.

Nothing that makes the car undrivable. More noticeable when drive goes to that wheel. I had the ball joint replaced in pax side about 6 months ago due to mild wobbles under brakes when going downhill. But it has been fine since.

Will have my mechanic take a look and I will report back findings.
Old 26-04-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Wheel unit hub bearing could probably make noise all the time. Yours is only under load when you have 4wd selected.
I would guess right front Uni joint. Those two are bigger than the ones on your drive shafts.
Easy and cheap to replace.
If it was me, I would change the 3 Uni joints and centre ball in the front drive shaft and replace the two larger front axle uni' as well as the two front wheel unit bearings. Also replace front diff oil. Use Timken and Spicer parts from Rockauto.
Allow a full day.
But that's just me.

Remember, she is almost 25 now, and may need a lot of bearings, unis and the like taken care of.
Do you really need to run her in 4wd all the time?

Cheers,
Old 27-04-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Wheel unit hub bearing could probably make noise all the time. Yours is only under load when you have 4wd selected.
I would guess right front Uni joint. Those two are bigger than the ones on your drive shafts.
Easy and cheap to replace.
If it was me, I would change the 3 Uni joints and centre ball in the front drive shaft and replace the two larger front axle uni' as well as the two front wheel unit bearings. Also replace front diff oil. Use Timken and Spicer parts from Rockauto.
Allow a full day.
But that's just me.

Remember, she is almost 25 now, and may need a lot of bearings, unis and the like taken care of.
Do you really need to run her in 4wd all the time?

Cheers,
Thanks, she is getting old, but I will have all of the above checked out. True, the noise is there all the time and she has been getting louder over the years, and my hearing has been getting worse probably because of that (another thread).

2wd is good enough for most journeys...
Post New Thread  Reply