4.56 on a CRD manual JK with 33's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-09-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Default 4.56 on a CRD manual JK with 33's

Hi All,
About to upgrade my 2013 JKU ratio from 3.73 to 4.56 to make it a better daily drive, very under powered and not great for towing a camper when touring.
I have 33's and have no intention to go to 35's and don't see the value of spending money to only go 4.1, not much difference.
I know it will be a gun off road with 4.56 but would like to hear from anyone running this setup to understand if the JK is happy at 2400 at 100km/h and how it drives on road.
Old 16-09-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Are you sure you have 3.73's currently?
The auto's come with 3.73's but as far as I know the manuals come with 3.21's, unless you've already swapped them out for the 3.73's.
Old 16-09-2014
Mals-JK
Visitor

i'd say if there was a possibility of going 35's later definitely the 4.56 on CRD Manual is a great Ratio! but if your not and you want some more towing power 4.11 is your better choice on 33's for daily driver/hwy, and if you do have 3.21 now your going to notice a big difference going up to 4.11
4.11 much better drivability, works well with Manual and CRD torque band
4.56 on 33's you'll find it will rev up too easily and you need to change gear quicker, it slows the car down on road and yes i recon it revvs to high especially if you want to travel @110-120kmh

(im comparing this to personal experience with 35's and trying 4.88 first, then put in 4.56 on Manual CRD, big improvement)
Old 16-09-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

I'm running 4.11 with the manual crd. At first had 33s was quite good all round revved at round 2400 or so at 110. Went up to 35s and I think it's a good balance if u use it as a dd like I do.
Old 16-09-2014
I just registered

That's my conundrum. Spend the money to go from 3.73 to 4.1. Is it worth it.
I do think it will be better for touring.
Old 16-09-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Manual CRDs started in 2007 with 4.11 and in 2008 went to 3.21. Jeep stayed with this ratio for a couple of years and around about 2012 saw the light and went to 3.73. For the Jeep to be able to tow the rated tow capacity you need a minimum of 3.73.

I also went with the 4.11s with the CRD manual. I tow a horse float and it handles that well.

Towing in 5th at 100 km/h the revs work out to be about 2600. (noting that you should not tow in 6th or overdrive, it'll kill the gear.)

With 4.56 5th at 100 works out to be a smidge under 2900 rpm and torque is already starting to drop off.
Old 16-09-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts

It'll def be better for touring if Ur staying on 33s and even 35s. I'm planning on 4.56 for 37s. Most ppl wouldn't recommend it but I've been happy with 4.1 and 35s
Post New Thread  Reply