ARB compressor stopped pumping air - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Default ARB compressor stopped pumping air

Story
Enjoying the Gembrook state forest last Sunday until I tried to air up my 33x10's from 10psi. managed to get one up to 26 but the next just sat at 10 no matter how long I ran the compressor. gotta love limping to the servo NOT!

Setup
The 10 year old ARB onboard Compressor was fitted at the same time as an Air locker for the D44 and a hi pressure air line between the outlet and the front bar with a fixed coupling so I can air up without needing to lift the bonnet.

Issues
I was hoping it was an o-ring as I have needed to replace one before, other then that I haven't had any issues with leaks until recently - the compressor switches on occasionally when the pressure drops from a slow leak, I'm assuming last Sunday that leak got bigger as I was only able to blow up one tyre, it still pumps air but not under pressure; sounds like just a leak somewhere...

Diagnosis
Whenever need to find a leak with an air line I reach for the soapy water spray bottle with great expectations but this time no joy! I can't find any bubbles in the lines or around the tank.

HELP!
Any ideas? Could the piston be worn out? Is there a reco kit? I prefer to fix then replace though after more then ten years of service it's probably time to bite the bullet and upgrade, limping to a servo for air is no fun.

Any advice on what ARB fit up for the combination locker/air up system might be appropriate.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2015
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Sounds like my compressor (not ARB). Pulled it apart and found the non return valve had jumped out of its posi.
Old 04-11-2015
Established Member

thanks for the reply haven't figured out whats wrong with it, where's the "non return valve" located on the ARB comp?
Old 05-11-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Have you tried to turn it on and soapy water every think? even disconnect all your pipe work to make sure its the compressor. It the compressor is fine it would be a good idea to get a big compressor hooked up so you can find the leak as the compressor will not blow hard enough. Some time with the air hose connection they rust on the valve and get sticky. I've had on the rusted up on the inside and wasn't seating right when the hose was disconnected. If you run the new arb lockers get a high pressure switch because when you have a slow leak the gear the slides in (locks) comes out under low pressure and instead off having the full spline contact it will only be half of the spline making contact. It happen 3 times on my gq even with the high air pressure. I like the thought of electronic or mechanical lockers over air locks personally but that's not saying I wouldn't buy them again.

Last edited by rang0; 05-11-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 169 Times in 134 Posts

Just looked at your photos. There o rings inside the air fittings check them if the have cracked or perished.
Old 05-11-2015
Established Member

G'day rang0

Yeah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang0 View Post
Have you tried to turn it on and soapy water every think?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
I reach for the soapy water spray bottle with great expectations but this time no joy! I can't find any bubbles in the lines or around the tank.
Quote:
disconnect all your pipe work to make sure its the compressor..
pipe to the bar (in picture) is good, no bubbles, haven't checked the locker air line, if it stops raining today I will try to isolate it

Quote:
It the compressor is fine it would be a good idea to get a big compressor hooked up so you can find the leak as the compressor will not blow hard enough.
that's an idea, thx

Quote:
Some time with the air hose connection they rust on the valve and get sticky. I've had on the rusted up on the inside and wasn't seating right when the hose was disconnected.
I keep it oiled & your right it does rust up a bit

I
Quote:
f you run the new arb lockers get a high pressure switch.
I wont run my locker if it's dropping below 100psi for that very reason, thx again, good advice

Quote:
I like the thought of electronic or mechanical lockers over air locks personally but that's not saying I wouldn't buy them again.
I feel inclined to agree...

I'll update this thread when I work what's up

-JH
Old 05-11-2015
Established Member

Quote:
check them if the have cracked or perished.
Did that yesterday and it all looks good.