Australian Army Willys/Jeep Trailer - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lights wired up on a removable bar as the final light will be some TJ rear light. Also mocked up the XJ tow bar which almost exactly fits the frame rails. I only needed to cut a couple of mils off each end. The tow bar will act as a recovery point and for the bicycle rack.

Safety chain to welded later today and she's apples for AUVIS (Blue Slip/RWC)

Old 22-03-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

So, I bought a MIG TIG STICK welder from Peter of tokentools.com.au based in the Central Coast last week and everything including the gas got delivered a couple of days later. The price was double the ebay chinese welders but I wanted something that would last me a while and a safety helmet that would work and not make me go blind!

A mate, Joe came down from Brisvegas and helped out eith the welding. We practiced some on the old tow bar, so it was not too difficult. We started on a 0.6 wire but that had almost zero penetration, so we went on the 0.9 wire.

I took it for inspection yesterday. The bloke was happy with Marcus's excellent work and the welding, haa. Haa...

However, the tyres need changing as they > 7 years young and some cracks had developed. No worries, I have a few 16" x 29" tyres that I can put on. The bloke also expressed concern for the bearings being a bit loose, so I will replace them too.

Once it is registered, the rest of the build will be a lot easier.

Plans are to fit YJ leaves, springs on top, for 37" tyres.
The mud guard/wheel cover/flares will be cut out. Bigger/wider/longer ones will be welded in place.
Need to make a metal top cover, hinges, locks, struts, vertically extendible roof rack for the clam shell RTT.
Rear will a tyre carrier, water/jerry cans holder and a hitch receiver for bike racks and schtuff..
A removable tool box will be place on the drawbar.

I was racking my brains as how to carry 2 kayaks as well on top or under the RTT, neither is ideal. The solution I came up with is a couple of foldable kayaks or a blow up canoe carried either on the Jeep's roof rack or in the Jeep as luggages. The watercrafts should be strong enough for sharks or salties...no worries.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 23-03-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 22-03-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

weights

From the above,
Unladen 594lbs = 229kgs
Laden. 1400lbs = 635kgs

Stamped on the trailer 8CWT = 406kgs ( UK long ). Payload .

Yesterday's weighbridge scale = 240 kgs ( bigger tyres? ), new payload 395kgs

JK Jeep with Front, Rear Bars, winch : 2.3t.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 23-03-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 23-03-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Just spoke to the VSCCS certifier/inspector, a VIN has been issued by the RMS.

Just the tyres to be done, then insurance and rego.

I have a couple of muddies lying around, so I will replace them. Hopefully the 255/70/16s aren't too wide.
Old 23-03-2017
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Glad it is coming along mate and nearly there. The tyres were just to get it on and off the transport truck as you always had plans to put the bigger shoes on.
Some of the extra weight would be from the heavier duty floor as well as the tyres.
Glad the new mig is working well for you. I nearly bought one of those as well as the only one I got good reports about and a decent backup as well.
0.6 wire is only good for sheet metal.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 23-03-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Glad it is coming along mate and nearly there. The tyres were just to get it on and off the transport truck as you always had plans to put the bigger shoes on.
Some of the extra weight would be from the heavier duty floor as well as the tyres.
Glad the new mig is working well for you. I nearly bought one of those as well as the only one I got good reports about and a decent backup as well.
0.6 wire is only good for sheet metal.

Thanks Marcus.

Slowly slowly catchy minkey.

No worries about the tyres, I was hoping that it would pass the inspection to then change them straight to bigger meats but I have the tyres anyway, so it is just a matter of breaking the bead, chop and change 4 tyres as the other 2 are on rims still.

Forgot about the weight of the floor, make sense now.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 28-03-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 22-04-2017
Jedi Master

Check out my Ride(s)

Just passed the inspection this morning and the trailer now has it's first civillian VIN. Registering and plates next week.

I was gonna use my former WJ tyres but they were more than 7 yrs old, so, no go. I bought a couple of cheap new tyres for the inspection which will now be used for trailering it around whilst being built.

Happy to report that the pintle hook and lunette combo is great. No clunking nor rattling noise whatsoever.

Small 195/50R16s

Last edited by Tyvokka; 22-04-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply