Diesel Engine Oil Opinions - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2010
i am the CIG

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

i use cat deo in my engine

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 05-08-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK here is the good oil for LSA oils here in Perth.

They meet or exceed the following:
API-4
CG-4
CF
ACEA C6/E7-07
ACEA E4-99
Euro 1,2,3 and 4

Cool bananas I say!!
Old 16-03-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey Guys,

It looks like this thread is as old as 2010 however google still found this in the research as one of the top hits when looking for oil to put in tbe CRD engine.

So i thought due to some conflicting/missing information it would be worth adding to it.

Also I don't know if the members that posted any of this are still active, if they are would be good to hear back.

Anyway...

Regarding the 2.8L CRD motor and what oil to use.

Some use HPR others mobil 5w 30 and ofhers say must be approved by certain standards.

With information I have collected from the oil companies none of the oils here recommended in this thread are actually approved oils for the car.

The 2.8L CRD must meet a MB rating of 229.31 and 229.51.

If you have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) you must use a 5w30 weight oil with MB rating of 229.31 and 229.51 as per manufacturer recomendation.

If you do not have a DPF then you must use a 0w40 grade oil (I dont understand why it must be thicker now) which is also 229.31 and 229.51 MB approved.

Penrite oils (I have no clue what has changed since 2010) only offer a 5w30 Enviro + diesel oil that meets the MB 229.31 and 229.51 rating to be used in cars with the DPF.

Penrite oils do NOT offer a 0w40 weight oil with the MB rating required and therefor do not have an oil that meets the need of 2.8L crd engines that do not have DPF.

So put in short (I got this from penrite tech) - If you do not have a DPF in your 2.8L CRD, then penrite do not have a suitable oil for you. That simply means you need oil from a different company brand.

Now regarding the Mobil recomendations (again i don't know what has changed since 2010)...

The only oil Mobil offer with the MB rating 229.31 and 229.51 is either Mobil ESP formula 5w30, or Mobil Super 3000-XE.

When I spoke to them about not having a particulate filter they told me mobil 1 0w40 (correct viscosity that penrite has not got for this engine).

When I looked at the data sheet however, the Mobil 1 0w40 formula says it is 229.3 and 229.5 MB rated.

Both are missing the 1 at the end.

So I dont know if thats the same thing or whether the data sheet has a mixup or what...

So now its up in the air for people without DPF. Is the 0w40 correct though its not 229.31 (229.3), is that a typo error or is there an error in chryslers recomendation of only 229.31 being approved for both particulate and non particulate filters.

So to sum it up.

2.8 CRD with particulate filter = 5w30 grade MB 229.31 and 229.51 approved.

Penrite Enviro+ 5w30 and Mobil ESP Formula 5w30 or Mobil 5w30 Super 3000-EX is approved.

2.8 CRD without a particulate filter = 0w40 grade MB 229.31 and 229.51 approved.

Penrite do not have an oil to meet this specification, Mobil only have the Mobil 1 which is not 229.31 but 229.3, and not 229.51 but 229.5 MB approved. It is also the regular engine oil in gold bottle not a diesel oil???

Either chrysler mixed up the 229.31 and meant 229.3 or the oil company has the 229.3 printed but meant 229.31...

And why is regular car oil based on Mobils suggestion fine when its a diesel motor?

More confused than anything.

Thats as far as I have gotten.

Last edited by G.man; 16-03-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 18-03-2017
Established Member

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

So much info my head is spinning.
I simply use the oil selector gizzmo's that are on oil websites and it tells me what to use

Penrite says
2.5 CRD - HPR Deso 15
2.8 CRD - HPR Deso 10 or HPR Deso 5 <-- I use this one

Castrol says
2,5 CRD - CASTROL MAGNATEC DIESEL 15W-40 or CASTROL GTX DIESEL 15W-40 or CASTROL RX SUPER 15W-40
2.8 CRD - CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 or CASTROL EDGE 5W-40 SN or CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40

Caltex says
2.5 CRD - HAVOLINE PREMIUM
2.8 CRD - HAVOLINE FULLY SYNTHETIC SAE 5W-40

Mobil says
2.5 CRD - MOBIL 1 0W-40 or MOBIL SUPER 2000 X2 10W-40
2.8 CRD - MOBIL 1 0W-40 or MOBIL FORMULA X2 5W-40 or MOBIL FORMULA S2 10W-40

Shell says
2.5 CRD - Helix Ultra 5W-40 or Helix HX7 10W-40
2.8 CRD - Helix Ultra 5W-40 or Helix HX7 10W-40

Nulon says
2.5 CRD - Full Synthetic 10W-40 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing Engine Oil or Semi Synthetic 15W-40 Modern Everyday Engine Oil
2.8 CRD - Semi Synthetic 5W-40 4x4, Ute and Light Commercial Engine Oil or Full Synthetic 10W-40 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing Engine Oil or Semi Synthetic 15W-40 Modern Everyday Engine Oil

Valvoline says

2.5 CRD - VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 15W-40 or ENGINE ARMOUR SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY 15W-40 or VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 10W-40 or ENGINE ARMOUR SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY 10W-40
2.8 CRD - VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 10W-40 or ENGINE ARMOUR SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY 10W-40

There is probably more out there but you get the idea, easy peasy...........
Old 18-03-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I don't think it is that easy.

No dpf and penrite tech said they do not have a suitable oil that fits the requirements.

HPR does not meet 229.31/229.51 MB rating. Only the enviro+ meets the euro spec and only if you have a dpf. So why are you using HPR when it does not meet the MB rating?

Im not sure about the rest of what you listed but can't go off that since the techs themselves said should not use what you just stated the site says to use... ?

Website says one thing, when you ring and ask you get told they have nothing suitable.

No wonder I am confused.

Last edited by G.man; 18-03-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 18-03-2017
Established Member

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.man View Post
229.31/229.51 MB rating.
Where did you get the info that says oil that goes into the KJ CRD should meet these? I haven't seen it mentioned for the KJ CRD anywhere. I have seen MB-229.51 associated with the 3.0CRD in the WK though

One FSM for the KJ says;
Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL- 2104C or API Classification CD or higher or CCML D4, D5. It says "or" so the oil you use does not have to meet ALL of these specs. If you read up on them, they pretty much equal each other

To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE grade 10W-40 engine oils that meet Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used. European Grade 10W-40 oils are also acceptable. Oils of the SAE 5W-40 or 5W-30 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -12°C. For me this says that for proper performance of the oil I use I should use a 10W-40 or a 5W-40 that meets MS-6395 (if you read all the gumph, it's pretty bloody close to it being a case of API CD = MIL-2104C = CCML D4,D5 = MS-6395)

Another FSM for the KJ says;
ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES - EXPORT: Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL- 2104C or API Classification CD or higher or CCML D4, D5.

To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE grade 10W-40 engine oils that meet Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used in accordance to ACEA B3, B4 specification. European Grade 10W-40 oils are also acceptable. Oils of the SAE 5W-40 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -15°C. (note the removal of reference to 5w-30 and slightly lower temp in the last line compared to the other FSM info) For me this says that for proper performance of the oil I should use a 10W-40 or a 5W-40 that meets MS-6395 and is used in accordance with ACEA B3 or B4

So in the end using a 5w-40 or 10w-40 oil that is rated at API CD or higher and meets ACEA B3 or B4 will do the job nicely. HPR Deso 5 does this so I'm happy to use it (for some reason I thought I read somewhere that it met MS-6395 as well but can't find it anywhere now???)

There is always the option of walking into your local Jeep dealer and asking to order Part# 68231021GA which is the Mopar branded oil that is suggested/recommended as a service fill for the KJ 2.8 Deso

Last edited by dhula; 19-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 19-03-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey and thanks for that.

2.8 CRD in the KJ is the same one as in the wrangler yes? It is the italian 2.8l 4 cyl turbo diesel motor... ?

I got these numbers for MB rating from penrite themselves. They got this directly from Jeep.

Heres what i got from penrite Tech support after a whole bunch of questions:

Reply as follows:

Nothing much more to add really. Jeep call for MB 229.31 or 229.51 whether there’s a dpf or not –that’s what they say to use.

The numbers MB 229.3 and 229.5 are for NON -DPF vehicles but are not referenced by Jeep at all. If that’s a mistake then it’s one made by Chrysler Jeep or our information providers.

For our part we are actually researching to see if our information providers made a simple error and I expect a reply later today -hopefully.

Be aware that a number of other companies use the same information source –and that actually includes Mobil.

Did Mobil actually look up the specs for this model or simply tell you their non-dpf oil at 0W-40? That’s important.

I suppose the Mobil oil that is 0W-40 and meets MB 229.3 or 229.5 makes more sense than the requirement stated by Jeep, but that is just frustrating for ourselves and for Mobil.

For a model with dpf we have oil approved to MB 229.51 (Enviro+ 5W-40).

For a model without dpf we have no product.

I then asked a bunch of stuff why would the viscosity change etc when no dpf etc..

Reply:

I looked up the model for 2010 as you said that was the year you were looking at. The cars from 2007 to 2012 are under one heading, so I cannot tell from that whether all, some or none built in 2010 will have a dpf.

Regardless of base oil type, the oil needs to meet certain clear cut specifications.

From new, the engine takes a refill of 6.6L of oil to meet Mercedes Bluebook number 229.31 OR 229.51 at viscosity SAE 5W-30 if the car has a dpf and 0w40 if it does not have a dpf.

When I asked penrite for elaboration due to what Mobil told me...

They replied:

Infomedia have confirmed by email that Jeep still want oil to MB 229.31 or 229.51 even in the absence of a dpf.

Heres something I did find that is in harmony with whats been stated here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84....html?page=255

Last edited by G.man; 19-03-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply