Winch Cradle or Plate for our plastic front bumpers - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-08-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Winch Cradle or Plate for our plastic front bumpers

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a 2015 JKU with the "distinctive" protruding plastic front bumper that could double as a park bench. I'm looking to increase my recovery options with a winch without having to pay out $1500 for a replacement bumper that may or may not even meet standards that may or may not be required in my state (vic).

For the US stock plastic bumper there exist products like https://www.quadratec.com/products/12065_1012_07.htm which would do the job, but I strongly suspect that they won't work for the Australian bumper which appears to be a complete redesign and not just a case of fog lights being spaced more widely apart.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of something that is available locally? I've tried searching but my search terms clearly aren't precise enough.

Cheers,
Sangiyok
Old 27-08-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Double Black Off Road sell one. If they are selling it then it should fit Australian models. You could always ring them and ask.

https://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/j...late---JK.aspx

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 27-08-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Well, my first question would be to Vic pol / Vic Roads if this plate and winch location is actually then legal according to your ADRs down there.... If you are worried about ADR compliance....

A while back I saw a guy had made a plate or bought a plate that put the winch inside the plastic fat lip of the jeep rather than on top...

While I get this is a short term cheap option for putting a winch on the car, the plastic offers no protection to either the winch (Off road/ on road and theft) or the car, not to mention increases your approach angle...

Here is a link to their website... the pdf talks about the winch must be covered with a cover if you are going to mount the winch with your plastic bumper...

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...afety/bullbars

Good Luck
Old 27-08-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'ers View Post
Well, my first question would be to Vic pol / Vic Roads if this plate and winch location is actually then legal according to your ADRs down there.... If you are worried about ADR compliance....

A while back I saw a guy had made a plate or bought a plate that put the winch inside the plastic fat lip of the jeep rather than on top...

While I get this is a short term cheap option for putting a winch on the car, the plastic offers no protection to either the winch (Off road/ on road and theft) or the car, not to mention increases your approach angle...

Here is a link to their website... the pdf talks about the winch must be covered with a cover if you are going to mount the winch with your plastic bumper...

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...afety/bullbars

Good Luck
Any part of a winch, fittings or other equipment which
project forward of the bull bar, must not have any
sharp edges or be an unsafe projection. Alternatively
they should be enclosed with a suitable cover which is
itself free from protrusions or sharp edges

The winch wouldn't protrude past the edge of the bumper so that wouldn't apply. Even if it did, according to that paragraph it still wouldn't matter if there are no sharp edges. And if it was a worry, you can buy winch covers off ebay for a couple of dollars.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 27-08-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Any part of a winch, fittings or other equipment which
project forward of the bull bar, must not have any
sharp edges or be an unsafe projection. Alternatively
they should be enclosed with a suitable cover which is
itself free from protrusions or sharp edges

The winch wouldn't protrude past the edge of the bumper so that wouldn't apply. Even if it did, according to that paragraph it still wouldn't matter if there are no sharp edges. And if it was a worry, you can buy winch covers off ebay for a couple of dollars.

The winch cover being the point of my comment.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31-08-2020
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you so much all, I'll get on to DBOR!
Post New Thread  Reply