Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just a silly question .... "Why do you need a gun anyway?"

and .. YES, I do own a farm, and YES, I do qualify to own weapons (note they are referred to as weapons, not guns), but I do not as I simply DO NOT NEED ONE!

However, I can tell you about the dead animals, some beheaded in the paddocks and left to attract the feral animals, the bullet holes in things that do not move, and the late night spot lights and noise on public roads (some of these are through established parks and reserves.....
This is of course responsible I guess....mmmmmm?

Now lets add some grog to this picture and ..........

Flame away, but you have a lot of questions to ask yourself first!
Old 27-09-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapable View Post
the bullet holes in things that do not move, and the late night spot lights and noise on public roads (some of these are through established parks and reserves.....

Now lets add some grog to this picture and ..........!
For these excact reasons, I'm comfortable with gun control...
There will always be idiots, not criminals by nature, just idiots.
Old 27-09-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Given the attitude of ...

"ooohhhh ... thats cool ... I want it"

... thats become so commonplace/prevalent, since the 80's ... IMHO, firearm ownership needed some reviewing.

... and lets call 'em firearms shall we ?? ... coz I have a biro next to the computer,

... and just like a firearm, or a cricket stump, or a screwdriver, or a knitting needle, yada yada, ad nauseum ...

... Its not a weapon ... unless I deliberately, poke a hole in someone with it ..

Our ranting gun law lobbyists tend to forget a few things ... Like, just how long various states in aust had firearm legislation.

The media and others bang on about, automatic firearm, ownership ... yet thats been illegal since about 1930 ..

... so australia would never had an in Uzi in every second house .. ... unless of course, every second house was owned by criminals, importing their own ..

Controls on pistol ownership have been around for longer.

Rifle and shotgun ownership regulations had been a bit lax by comparison tho ... as they never kept up with the "unnescessary", types of rifles and shotguns that became available legally over time - such as semi-auto versions of military equipment.

Defenders of the US constitution and rules, need to move to america ... The stupidity of - the public, being able to buy, on a whim ... military grade hardware ... is not needed, down here.

Nowwww ... as for little johnnys kneejerk reaction, gun laws in 96 ...

What a farce

The only thing of any possible value to be introduced - was the "cool off period"/delay, between applying for a license and obtaining a firearm ... which was something that I think was a nescessity - given the change in social attitudes/behaviour over the years.

Of course ... if school cadet programmes were still operating as they used to ... potential idiots could be identified at an early age .. and much more effectively - than a bunch of paper shufflers looking at incorrectly applied AVOs, and other, irrellevant info.

Reasons for legitimate firearm ownership ????

Theres lots ... Everything from its use as a tool of trade, to simply collecting examples of fine workmanship,

... same as with any other inanimate object one might choose to take an interest in.

Anybody living on a farm without a need for a firearm obviously,

.... has yet to have their wallet, raped by some, late arriving, vet who charges fees like a plastic surgeon ... just to jam a needle in a sick, injured or dying animal.

ohhhh wait ... using a firearm to quickly put, a suffering animal out of it's pain and misery ..... would make a firearm a piece of medical equipment,

.... and we couldnt allow that, ehhhh ??? .. ..

... and lastly .... thank you little johnny - for the money wasting buyback scheme.

I got enough cash for all my old and nearly worn out, rifles and shotguns ..... to buy two nice new ones of better quality

Last edited by carvesdodo; 27-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 27-09-2013
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapable View Post
Just a silly question .... "Why do you need a gun anyway?"

and .. YES, I do own a farm, and YES, I do qualify to own weapons (note they are referred to as weapons, not guns), but I do not as I simply DO NOT NEED ONE!

However, I can tell you about the dead animals, some beheaded in the paddocks and left to attract the feral animals, the bullet holes in things that do not move, and the late night spot lights and noise on public roads (some of these are through established parks and reserves.....

Now lets add some grog to this picture and ..........

Flame away, but you have a lot of questions to ask yourself first!
Wow, so i take that because you have farm that you "need" a 4WD? Does this mean that because you own and operate a 4WD you are one in the same as the "ídiots" we often see doing stupid things in 4WD's, not to mention what happens once they start on the "grog"as well. Dont weigh all the law abiding firearms owners/operators against the ones whom choose to not play by the rules, that is not fair.

More innocent people are killed by cars than firearms in australia, yet they seem to hand out drivers licenses to anyone that can tie their shoelaces.

You are correct with your statement however about needs, I dont need a firearm, I want, and i want lots of them. Why? for the same reason most choose to not use a suzuki sierra to tour australia with, different horses for different courses. I only take out the firearm suited to the property size and the species of feral intended to encounter, if i happen to be out sized or over gunned then it is a lucky day for that feral.

Just for context,
I have my weapons license since 1993
I have been a member of the SSAA since 1993
I am a member of the SSAA farmer assist program.
I have a 4 inch high pile of glowing references from property owners

dont tar me with the same brush
Old 27-09-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,579 Times in 4,357 Posts

Dustbowl,
The timing of this thread was not that good !!
Look at what just happened up the road from you !

gold-coast-dog-squad-officer-shot-in-the-face-during-a-holdup-at-arundel-tavern

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226728173515

Restrictions on guns are a bit like restrictions on cars.
Best ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars !
Best ban nut jobs & crims, not guns.
People are always talking about the mass shootings in the USA. There is a lack of mental health checks on perspective gun owners in the USA.
I agree with some of the restrictions on some guns, not all though.
We dont need military assault rifles, nor handguns for private use.
When you have a large feral cat coming at you & the first shot from a 22 doesnt stop it, you dont need to be playing with the bolt to reload.
Any farmer with livestock should be required to own a fire arm capable of a clean kill in a paddock. A 22 is useless at say 30 meters for cattle. You risk having an angry wounded animal running around.
It would be very useful if silencers were allowed so as to not spook other cattle.
Old 27-09-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,579 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Wow, so i take that because you have farm that you "need" a 4WD? Does this mean that because you own and operate a 4WD you are one in the same as the "ídiots" we often see doing stupid things in 4WD's, not to mention what happens once they start on the "grog"as well. Dont weigh all the law abiding firearms owners/operators against the ones whom choose to not play by the rules, that is not fair.

More innocent people are killed by cars than firearms in australia, yet they seem to hand out drivers licenses to anyone that can tie their shoelaces.

You are correct with your statement however about needs, I dont need a firearm, I want, and i want lots of them. Why? for the same reason most choose to not use a suzuki sierra to tour australia with, different horses for different courses. I only take out the firearm suited to the property size and the species of feral intended to encounter, if i happen to be out sized or over gunned then it is a lucky day for that feral.

Just for context,
I have my weapons license since 1993
I have been a member of the SSAA since 1993
I am a member of the SSAA farmer assist program.
I have a 4 inch high pile of glowing references from property owners

dont tar me with the same brush
Well said fil !!!
Old 27-09-2013
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Incorrect fil...unfortunately being able to tie your shoe laces is not a prerequisite for obtaining a drivers licence. Would be a good starting point. Double knot for a 4WD.