Help setting timing chains - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-02-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

I'm not sure, but I did hear that your ECU has to have the correct numbers for each fuel injector imput into the ECU, not sure if you removed the injectors and maybe have put them back in different positions, and the ECU is not seeing them in the correct order, again, absolutely not sure on this, a Jeep mech would know. Not sure if you can get a spark plug attached to a coil pack to fire out of the block, you can only try, just watch out for fuel/air mix being blown out of the removed plug area, is very dangerous, even in old vehicles when checking spark of plugs themselves, I always put another plug back in to seal the cylinder.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 18-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

I second what cmohr said regarding the injectors, however if you never disconnected them from the rail that can't be the problem.

I know you said you could smell fuel, but you can check for an injector pulse by connecting a test lamp to the wiring. And you can check for spark from memory, but once again put an old plug in the hole whilst you do it.

I know you said that it sounds like it wants to start, but is it actually getting a small fire or not? The reason I ask this is because when I put my V8 back together I thought the same, but it actually turned out to be a dead cam angle sensor and it was never close to starting. Placebo effect maybe?

Not sure where you are located, but it may be worth buying a secondhand sensor to rule it out? I wasn't sure about mine, so I got a secondhand sensor from Poly 4x4 in Melb ($60) and it fired up instantly.

The last thing I can think of (and you're not going to like this one) is that you have the timing 180 degrees out, or one tooth out. When you re-timed the cams did you check that both valves on cylinder No. 1 were completely closed and not in the overlap phase of the cam (i.e. not rocking).

I know it's the most frustrating thing to go through mate, but don't let it get to you - you've done so well to get it where it is!
Old 18-02-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Is there a chance the timing could be 180 degrees out

OIIIIIIIO
Old 18-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

"Missed it by that much" ozjeepster!!
Old 18-02-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Default Help setting timing chains

A few of the pics overlap but hopefully you will be able to follow it & hopefully you can find where it went wrong .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ozjeepster; 18-02-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 19-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks all for the replies,
In terms of what it is doing, I would say it is not firing at all. It just seems the turn over speed increases up a bit when you press the peddle which makes it seem like it might fire up.
In terms of the settings I'm pretty much 100% sure the engine was at tdc when I put the heads on. I even checked cylinder 1 again after putting the heads on by checking with a welding stick down the plug hold for cylinder 1. Definitely wasn't at the bottom of the pot if you follow me, it was at the top. So it can't be out 180 right?
As for the cams. , they were both set up with the marks pointing to 12 oclock and the dot on the idler sprocket was also pointing up. I didn't check whether the cam on the passenger side was completely relaxed or not on the valve for cylinder 1
And if one of the cams was one tooth out would that make it not start?

I guess I should try a replacement cam sensor before opening things up to have another look, however it does seem a bit too coincidental that it should fail simply because it was taken out and put back in. Are they prone to just going bung when out of the carm for a few weeks?

Should add I connected my code reader again and moved the connector around a bit to try and get a reading and it threw some codes as below-
P0099 - Intake Air sensor 2 intermittent/erratic
p0 600- Serial communication link (this sounds bad!)
Po 100 Air Flow A circuit
Po 400 - not sure what this is, but 4's are exhaust gas in my manual
P0048- not listed in my book.

Weird thing is the codes changed when I ran it again to include the last couple.
the one that worries me is the serial communication link. Hoping I haven't shorted out the control module somehow. You do have to move the wiring looms around a lot getting the heads on and off.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about these codes I'd been keen to hear them.

I'm thinking to change the cam sensor and if that fails I'll check the cams.

Chrs
Mark
Old 19-02-2015
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

P0048-TURBOCHARGER BOOST CONTROLCIRCUIT SHORT CIRCUIT .

Seems like a strange code to come u?

I'd be checking the plugs to comcommunications again, you probably have but cannot hurt.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Post New Thread  Reply