Transmission cooler for crd - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be good if you could relocate the turbo cooler onto the top of the engine with a vent system like on the pootrols and toyota with a vent set up through the bonnet and then run a cooler where that was...but your talking big bucks to do it.... still might have to look at putting one on top of the turbo cooler where there's a few inches or mm of room.

Will check out local trans place and get back with what they say....
Old 18-05-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

how is a CRD trans cooler different from the petrol ones?
Old 18-05-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo1959 View Post
I have the 2007 CRD and can't find a cooler on it....the pipes go in to the radiator.....from what I can see.
Thats the american idea of an average, all condition, just adequate, tranny oil cooler system. Becoming common an all cars.

Perfectly designed for those mid winter panic dashes down to the shopping mall ... heater/demister and auto gearbox are ready for use, within minutes after startup - thanks to overly high, quickly reached, engine temps.

I find that it over heats when doing a lot of heavy hill work.
IMHO Thats because its cooling is dependant on the temperature of the engine coolant (one affects the other) and restricted airflow thru the engine bay and under the vehicle ( a typical new veh fault )

That's why I'm now looking a putting one on.......might have to go to the local trans place and see if they can adapt one for it.
Its not likely you will get what you need ... they will only be able to fit a cooler they think will be suitable to provide proper tranny oil temps.

I know a few were looking into this,but has anyone found one that suits the JK diesel yet.(a local supplier of a cooler would be great if there is one.)

I've done a few web searches but as to yet have not found anything much in this area.
Plenty of cooler suppliers here ... just none with any jeep knowledge ... DaviesCraig down your way is most helpful with info/specs on their gear - but not much in the way of specifics for jeep fitting.

Have noticed that the new KK has one fitted and maybe one could be fitted to the JK but after looking at where it is fitted right at the bottom of the KK,it's open to fill up with mud and can be damaged.

The only safe place I've seen for the JK is sitting on top off the turbo cooler as there's not a lot of room between the grille and the turbo cooler.
You can fit them anywhere - horizontal or vertical (best of course) dependant on oil pump pressure. All that is required is airflow. Mounting location or venting or an electric fan will provide that.
Tranny oil goes into the tranny sump at temp "A".
It then goes thru the workings of the gearbox and comes out at temp "B"

Temp "B" needs to be cooled enough to ensure temp "A" isnt too hot to begin with.

Some schools of thought from the XJ camp ....

1/. Remove fan forced, factory fitted, after radiator oil cooler and bang in a great big, oil cooler which is dependant on moving vehicle airflow only ... inline before the radiator. This will definitely provide a cooling effect ... until it flows through the radiator heat exchanger and heats up again. Actual oil temps at different vehicle speeds are unknown.

2/. Replace the - after radiator, factory fitted cooler - with a bigger unit ... and hope the tranny oil is not cooled too much.

3/. Bypass the radiator using just the factory fitted cooler and once again, hope that gearbox temps are right.

My thoughts are .... Until some mob do some actual R&D here - in regard to jeep oil coolers, your best bet is to spend an extra $150 and buy some inline fittings and fit a temp gauge to test whats happening with your vehicle now ... and after any cooler modifications you make.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 18-05-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 18-05-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Just had quick read on the parts manual, seems both petrol and CRD share the same parts in regarding the trans cooler. the only diff is the hard lines connect to the trans.

here is how I installed mine:
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37839
Old 18-05-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNEJK View Post
Just had quick read on the parts manual, seems both petrol and CRD share the same parts in regarding the trans cooler. the only diff is the hard lines connect to the trans.

Good link BNEJK ...

Anybody doing that mod to a JK using the exact same components and having the same vehicle setup ... should be assured of getting nearly the same oil temp results as provided in the writeup.

It also provides a lot of general info applicable to any vehicle.

Shame the bloke didnt fit an extra sensor to check the outflow temps tho ... Would have made it a complete writeup then.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 18-05-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 18-05-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNEJK View Post

I looked at this write and what a shame it's a petrol model the guy has plenty of room to fit it in.......been down to the local auto trans place and they just scratched their heads and said yeh.....where the bloody hell do we fit one...

Who was the nut case that designed this set up......back to square one....
Old 18-05-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

if a 19mm thick cooler can't fit between grill and the intercooler then you probably can look at the ones that come with fan (so you can mount it somewhere less airflow).
Post New Thread  Reply