2019 WK2 with blown diesel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Angry 2019 WK2 with blown diesel

Another installment in the saga of my blown Ecodiesel I posted about 4 months or so ago.
Went through several months with a solicitor and Barister ( legal not coffee maker) and a few $K only to finish up nowhere and after the vehicle sitting at the dealership for 6 months it is now back home under cover. I have decided now that I have a choice of 2 options, 1/ to buy a 2nd hand motor and do the swap myself. I have located 2 motors, 1 (low Ks) in Sydney and another in the US. Option 2/ sell the car with the blown motor as long as I can get a good price.
The motor in Sydney while it has very low Ks, is already out of the vehicle and no video of it running and it is a 2 day return trip to pick it up, with about $450 fuel plus 1 night in a motel. The motor in the US has eqivalent Ks of 52000and is only $5500 + freight (waiting to find out how much) +5% import fee, also waiting to hear from a couple of other wreckers in the US of what is available.
Option 2/ selling the GC as is, it is in excellent condition and even though it has just gone 4 YO, it has only been on the road for 21/2 years with 74K on the clock.
Opinions of any of the regular contributors to this forum would be appreciated and just to add, I have considered VCAT but that could add another 6 months or more just to get a hearing.
Old 06-06-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

Thats sad...rude and sad....sorry for you mate...it just shouldnt happen that way

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 06-06-2023
Rock Munki

As a side note mate...the OZ engine is a better option when taking into consideration the 'differences' in both Countries EPA Regulations and the quality of fuel in both Countries....have you tried All Grand Cherokee at Springvale in VIC....they are a Jeep Wrecker and if he doesnt have what your after he can DEFINITELY walk you through the best options...still feel for ya mate...shyte outcome...sorry

Old 07-06-2023
I just registered

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Feel sorry for you PITA, you have been screwed good and proper. Short note on my experience with a failed engine- 2014 GC Overland Diesel, bought new by us, 65k km over 8 years, failed a big end bearing near Toowoomba late last year, tilt tray car and van to dealer in Moorooka, Brisbane. Repair wasn’t an option due to no parts avail. JCA would not assist with any Goodwill due to vehicle age and doubtful service history (a whole other story) I opted for a new long engine out of Melb, new oil cooler, change over all external components, job completed inside 4 weeks at a very respectable price (I believe) $19,500. Top marks to that dealer for great service- very unusual experience. We now have the latest engine available and 12 months parts warranty. Still believe we have a great car.
A new engine is always better than S/H or repaired. BTW not an easy job for a home mechanic to change the engine, you will need car hoist, hydraulic platform etc to lower the engine, transmission and front end out the bottom and then separate, dismantle etc. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,885 Times in 2,299 Posts

I think if I had to go a 2nd hand engine i would be getting someone to strip it and rebuild and throw it under the bonnet, then I would know the damn thing should be good ................. buying private could be suss nowadays..........
Someone like AGC, GDL sort of places for the work I think....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-06-2023
Rock Munki

The fella at Coffs Harbour is also highly recommended....Jeeps'r'Us....any of the 3 will have ALL the info and pointers required PLUS the availbility of parts, what to look for, can do the work and forward the engine if going down the DIY path

Old 07-06-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Best bet is to avoid importing an ex USA engine & book it into All Grand Cherokee at Springvale & have them fit a late model engine from one of their wrecks. They could also do the cooling water hose under the inlet manifold whilst it’s all apart.

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply