PRND shifter Lights on all the time - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,885 Times in 2,299 Posts

The red circle is highlighting something I don't have on mine, the black knob thingy but that is the housing for the valve and the hose is a bastard to undo the clip ........... it requires 3 hands and 2 small flat screw drivers..... but I would wait until a battery check as it may be the cause of thee gremlins ............ If I was going to give the engine a dose of intake cleaner I would squirt it in from the PCV hose connection on the intake...

That black thing might just be an engine cover support bit, I have just a 4 pointed star in alloy there and the engine cover and associtaed rubber bits has been long gone from mine so can't recall......

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 12-09-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
The red circle is highlighting something I don't have on mine, the black knob thingy but that is the housing for the valve and the hose is a bastard to undo the clip ........... it requires 3 hands and 2 small flat screw drivers..... but I would wait until a battery check as it may be the cause of thee gremlins ............ If I was going to give the engine a dose of intake cleaner I would squirt it in from the EGR hose connection on the intake...

That black thing might just be an engine cover support bit, I have just a 4 pointed star in alloy there and the engine cover and associtaed rubber bits has been long gone from mine so can't recall......
I guessed it won’t be easy taking those clips off the hose bugger!

I have the separate 4 engine cover boots that the cover boots on to and this thing is something else. Noticed it myself and couldn’t think of it other than a heat sink used on computer CPUs lol. I’m sure it’s not that but looks like.

I am going to try and do the battery reset today or tomorrow morning and see how things go first before attempting to remove anything else.

Thinking of disconnecting the negative and leaving it for 15 minutes before reconnecting to be safe? 30 min might be too long?

Cheers
Old 10-09-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

No....30mins is minimum....when performing disconnects on mine, I have have gone the overnight path...lets everything 'turn off'....it doesnt take that long...but I use the Irish Method...to be sure to be sure.....the modules and electrickery in these things stay 'powered up' for a long time after shut down....on a quiet day/night...just sit in it and turn it off....you will hear clicks and whines and buzzes n whirres all over the thing for a long time after shut down....around 15mins from memory...obviously with the battery disconnected the 'power' will cut off...but....retained 'charge' takes a while to dissipate....30 mins minimum....dont bother disconnecting if you dont have at least that much time up your sleeve....pygmy contortionist position to disconnect, so the effort has to be worth the reward.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 11-09-2023
MonsterMoose

You can have the battery disconnected for hours and its no problem, mine sat on the bench all night on the charger then till lunch time when I got the new battery hooked up.... disconnect and flick few switches, brake pedal etc which can help discharge any residual energy,

Old 11-09-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey guys I have some good news. I did the battery disconnect and only left it for about 20 minutes because I read somewhere (obviously wrong) that leaving it disconnected for over 30 minutes and over could cause issues. So after the reconnection and PRND shifter lights are back to normal. They turn off seconds after the car is turned off and locked now which is normal.

So the disconnect definitely fixed this issue but after a few ignition cycles the CEL came back for the diesel intake position sensor issue. Not sure if it is worth doing the disconnect another day and leaving it for about an hour before reconnecting? I am afraid something might be actually wrong down there and the battery disconnect might not help.

Now that I know the car's battery won't deplete by the time I come back from my 10-day trip, I can plan to re-check the other issue later. Most likely would try to get someone to pull that hose out to give the intake area a inspection/clean, but definitely not something I would attempt as I fear not being able to put it back on properly lol

Thanks for your tips guys
Old 12-09-2023
MonsterMoose

There's a lot of myths out there, having the battery disconnected doesn't cause any problems though no matter how long its unplugged......

In mine I would just use a can of Penrite P26 Diesel Foaming Intake Cleaner or some LIQUI MOLY Diesel Engine Intake Decarb squirt it down the PCV hose connection as per instructions, that should clean out the oil residue in the hoses as well as the soot/oil mix in the intake manifold, while some say it craps up the DPF I very much doubt it if used as directed and taken for a good run at speed after it......... have used it once or twice in other vehicles with no ill effects......

Last edited by drover; 12-09-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 822 Times in 462 Posts

Had the battery disconnected for three months many times in all the GCs including the GCSRT.Never had a problem.
Post New Thread  Reply