Quadratrack V Quadradrive - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-06-2005
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suppose we could look at it another way:

1) QuadraTrac (basically refers to gerotor-equipped transfercase) - in:

a) High range: alters front/rear torque dynamically from 1:100 to 50:50
b) Low range: locks centre diff at 50:50
c) Both front and rear diffs are always OPEN

2) QuadraDrive uses QuadraTrac transfer case PLUS:

a) adds a geroter-controlled diff lock-up up front
b) adds a geroter-controlled diff lock-up down back

So, in effect, the QuadraTrac is the basic transfer case system (NV247), and is common to both "QuadraTrac" AND "QuadraDrive" cars. It essentially locks the front to rear diffs when in low range.

QuadraDrive,as such, just adds the Vari-Loc gerotor-equipped diffs that lock the wheels (on demand) left-to-right....giving you "near" diff-locked traction.
http://www.omaroo.net
Old 15-06-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
What is better offroad for a WJ:

a. Quadradrive I

or

b. rear truetrac LSD + front ARB locker

???
Depends how you define "better".

"Better" as in "more grip", or "better" as in "more driver attention for what's going on outside"?
Old 15-06-2005
Jack
Visitor

"Better" as in more useable traction when offroading on uneven tracks (ruts, gutters, ditches, etc).

I'm used to chugging along fire trails and forest tracks with a a rear LSD and if I come across an obsticle my preference is to assess it then decide if I need to engage the front locker. ie: option B above.

will quadradrive on a WJ provide improved traction in this application? Or is its main advantage 'cause the driver doesn't have to think about how to negotiate the obsticle and quadradrive works automatically?

Last edited by Jack; 15-06-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 16-06-2005
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
"Better" as in more useable traction when offroading on uneven tracks (ruts, gutters, ditches, etc).

I'm used to chugging along fire trails and forest tracks with a a rear LSD and if I come across an obsticle my preference is to assess it then decide if I need to engage the front locker. ie: option B above.

will quadradrive on a WJ provide improved traction in this application? Or is its main advantage 'cause the driver doesn't have to think about how to negotiate the obsticle and quadradrive works automatically?
My open QT would not do the same line that a QD right in front of me would take...damn things are great mountain goats stock...!
Old 16-06-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Quadradtrack v Quadradrive

Salesguy..(and others too, I guess) I gotta say..thanks for that...heaps more then I could get out of a Jeep guy at the Caravan and Camping show....this is why I like this forum....you are sure to get a 'no bullshit' answer to any query you may have... Now, if you can only tell us how to get Jeeps to use less fuel!!!
BrizXJ
Paul.
Old 17-06-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizXJ
Salesguy..(and others too, I guess) I gotta say..thanks for that...heaps more then I could get out of a Jeep guy at the Caravan and Camping show....this is why I like this forum....you are sure to get a 'no bullshit' answer to any query you may have... Now, if you can only tell us how to get Jeeps to use less fuel!!!
BrizXJ
Paul.
Ha ha, no worries.

Three letters you need to remember. They are the key to eternal Jeep ownership fulfillment - C R D.

Ask me about it when you want your next Jeep. ;>
Old 17-06-2005
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,882 Times in 2,296 Posts
Thumbs up

I have been wondering what it was all about, now I know, before this thread opened all I knew was that it all worked pretty good, though how I managed the rough stuff years ago when all you did was put it in FWD and drive by the seat of your pants and hope you have read the track right, I'll never know. Heaps of wheel travel always helped of course. Thanks Salesguy for the great info.

Drover..................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply