Supercharger for 2000 WJ 4.7 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2009
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Medic,

Have you read the thread "blown up my CRD". I know you have the petrol (as do I), but it's pretty scary and makes me think twice about doing any power increase modifications.
Old 15-01-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I supercharged your jeep I would use a positive displacement type of blower rather than centrifugal such as Procharger.
Positive displacement offer more torque down low where you need it for 4wding.
Centrifugal blowers are similar to turbo characteristics and provide more power at the top end..
Old 28-08-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Eaton supercharging project

Bit of an old thread I know, please don't flame - theres not a lot of info about boosting WG/WJ's in aus. In fact, after several months of searching/asking, I haven't found a single boosted since they stopped making the Kenne bell kits

A couple mates with WG's have benefited from much of my costly experimenting, so maybe someone on here will. Theres all sorts of crap on the web that you can do to get performance, and I've tried most if not all. Also hoping someone can comment/advise on the last piece of puzzle.

I'm in the (long drawn out) process of fitting an Eaton M112 on a 4.7 non HO 2003 WG. Current performance mods are:

Phase 1:
- 3" mandrelled stainless catback, removed 3rd cat, mid muffler and recently a resonator at end of exhaust which reduces the 2200-2400rpm 'droning' a lot
- K&N CAI (The sucking noise gives me the shits)
- Replaced intake manifold with one off a 2008 Jeep (shorter runnner length)
- Replaced stock throttle body (which was a bit damaged) with 72mm one
(all the above definately aids in mid/high revs, and sound obviously, but I definately lost low end torque - i suspect the new manifold has changed harmonics a bit)
- Superchips tuner (don't bother)
- Underdrive pulley (don't bother, especially if you run a lot of lights, accessories, etc. you'll gain about 1kW and your battery will go flat in peak hour traffic, plus lack of voltage trips out the PCM/TCM in wierd ways)
- Fuel rail cooling. Don't bother, even though rails feel very hot, fuel doesn't sit in them enough to get hot (certainly nowhere near vaporising as some claim), I siphoned from the bleed valve and recorded temperature when the engine was hot and at 10% throttle. The cooled v noncooled were 44 vs 47 degrees. At WOT I'd guesstimate the fuel would be in the rail for < .5s

Phase 2:
- Dynojet Wideband 2 AFR datalogger
- SCT XCalibrator custom tune from a bloke in the states (the PCM number 56041836AE is a austrian version (WG) not originally supported by SCT, but the device was able to download all the info, and SCT was able to update the firmware)
- With the dynojet, I was able to see the superchips tuner had made my AFR's quite dangerous (15:1 at WOT). This could be disastrous with non RON98 fuel (fortunately I always used BP Ultimate) especially as there's only 1 knock sensor on non-HO's.
- after about 4 rounds of SCT tuning, my idle/cruise AFR's stick right on 14.7, at WOT they are rich at 12.5-12.8.
- Shift kit, reduces the damage you do to the gear box in 3-2 prime upshifts. This is a design flaw with every 545RFE box (its also an attempt to resolve an elusive P0876 DTC which intermittently fires when shifting 4->5 - not sure its worked though as it happened again the other day. I just clear it and keep going)

Phase 3: Blower n stuff.
- I have a shiny new cobra M112 blower. I need to grind off the ford/svt logo tonight.
- 8x 48# injectors
- new fuel pump
- ATI harmonic dampener
- 2 Bar MAP sensor

All this stuff needs to go on, and then I'll retune maps for the correct AFR's. Initially with 6-7psi boost until the bottom end gets beefed up

Problem is I have 2 options and I've never worked with posi blowers before:
-mount the blower in place of the intake manifold same way as the kenne bell's mounted
-move some crap from the RHS of motor and mount it on the side as you would a centri blower which would be easier to intercool. I don't know what sort of force the mount would need to support or even where it could

Both of these options would need custom fabrication done (intake plenum or a whole manifold/support bracket, piping, stuff).

Also hearing conflicting info on whether the throttle body pre/post blower is the best option. Has anyone got any direct experience here?

I think the most elegant solution would be the top mount approach (meh hood clearance). But the most practical/flexible would be side mounting, and simply plumb the pressure side up to the current throttle body and chuck in a bypass valve. That way I could just remove the SC drive belt and reattach air intake, change PCM program to return it to stock when its on roads(obviously licencing would be complicated if I cant).

If anyone is interested I'll post up some progress shots of the build once it kicks off. Does anyone here know of a good engine joint that could do such fabrication, install? in Perth. Every place I've called only wants to work on ford/holden's, I think they just train the kids to work on a standard set of upgrades rather than general engine building. Also, if anyone has a wrecked/broken HO 4.7, I'm after a forged crank and HO Cams. Chrysler has no supply chain since they went bust so can't find these, which I want to enable higher boost. I can get the rods and other crap.

dnut
Old 28-08-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I think top mount might be best option cause you might have to replace factory (plastic ) intake manifold to cope with added pressure.
Old 30-08-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Keep an eye out for USA forums you might find a kenne bell for sale there.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 31-08-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MRGC I already have a brand new Eaton M112 from a mustang. Got it for $1000 (shipping from US was 1/2 of that though).

And yeah, I'll be going for the top mount route. Hood clearance will be impossible mounting the eaton on top of 2 intake planes (1 leading out to intercooler and 1 back in to ports). So I'm experimenting with some designs where I have a alum plane with holes cut for intake ports, and a section in the valley for sc charge. I think I can have a port at back of valley section leading to intercooler, and then mount some bent pipe on top of the intake holes.. and sort of build the IC return manifold on top of the SC. It will probably look bizarre, something like exhaust header on the side of the eaton. Need to run some fluid dynamics sims but I think it will work. I could also still completely bypass the SC for legal street use.

Pulley alignment/length is proving challenging
Old 07-09-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
i'm looking into a supercharger for my hemi grand, in no great hurry though, and stumbled on these. They look great on v8's but i want to do more research. Any ideas?

www.techointl.com/
Post New Thread  Reply