WH CRD Hard to Start - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-07-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default WH CRD Hard to Start

First start every morning - and only the first start - my 3.0 CRD is difficult to start. I find I need to wait 5-6 seconds after the ready light goes out otherwise it is like trying to start the motor without waiting for the plugs to glow. Occasionally it will then start easily but more often take a few revolutions.

I have replaced the igniters AND the igniter control box to no effect. A few months later I even replaced those igniters, this time with NGK. Same result.

After that first start every morning, difficult even in summer temperatures, it starts VERY easily. Any ideas? Thanks.

Another issue is that my dash plastic is starting to bleed and becoming sticky, I guess from heat. Does anyone have a cleaning cure for that? I have tried Isopropyl Alcohol without much result. Less sticky but a tendency to stain. Perhaps ArmourAll?
Old 23-07-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 826 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
First start every morning - and only the first start - my 3.0 CRD is difficult to start. I find I need to wait 5-6 seconds after the ready light goes out otherwise it is like trying to start the motor without waiting for the plugs to glow. Occasionally it will then start easily but more often take a few revolutions.

I have replaced the igniters AND the igniter control box to no effect. A few months later I even replaced those igniters, this time with NGK. Same result.

After that first start every morning, difficult even in summer temperatures, it starts VERY easily. Any ideas? Thanks.

Another issue is that my dash plastic is starting to bleed and becoming sticky, I guess from heat. Does anyone have a cleaning cure for that? I have tried Isopropyl Alcohol without much result. Less sticky but a tendency to stain. Perhaps ArmourAll?
Have had the same start problem for a year.No fault codes! New glow plugs ,new glow plug module, Bosch rebuilt injectors,new coolant temp sensor,
,cleaned EGR valve ,just today ordered a fuel rail pressure sensor.I suspect it might be a faulty injector but scan doesntbshow it. I would try a very good injector cleaner eg Penrite To see if it cleans your injectors
Re dash I cleaned with waterbased cleaner then sprayed 333 Protectant which made it much less sticky ,not armourall.
Old 23-07-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

I would pull a GP and physically check it's working. Before something so drastic, you can use a volt meter to confirm the controller is providing +12v to the plugs.

When you check the plugs, they should glow red. I found out the hard way that the plugs I first fitted were the wrong voltage, for one of the 5 cyl Merc engines. Something like 8v vs the Jeep's at around 4v. They didn't glow, but were still hot enough to burn skin, like a soldering iron.

Also, do you have a scan tool? The scanner won't pick up if the plugs are the wrong voltage...ask me how I know...

Rob.
Old 24-07-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 826 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
I would pull a GP and physically check it's working. Before something so drastic, you can use a volt meter to confirm the controller is providing +12v to the plugs.

When you check the plugs, they should glow red. I found out the hard way that the plugs I first fitted were the wrong voltage, for one of the 5 cyl Merc engines. Something like 8v vs the Jeep's at around 4v. They didn't glow, but were still hot enough to burn skin, like a soldering iron.

Also, do you have a scan tool? The scanner won't pick up if the plugs are the wrong voltage...ask me how I know...

Rob.
Brand new correct voltage glow plugs fitted in my case,!
Old 24-07-2022
AJOR Gold

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

There may be air leaking into the fuel system and getting into the fuel rails .

These engines need about 3600 PSI fuel pressure in the fuel rail before they will start .

Air in the fuel rail makes it hard to reach 3600 PSI .

Air commonly gets in at the hose connections on the fuel filter .

Good article here - www.oregonfuelinjection.com
Services and repair .
Diagnostics & Troubleshooting .
Article title - Jeep diesel diagnostics . 2007 - 2008 3.0L Jeep Grand Cherokee / 2005 - 2006 Jeep 2.8L Liberty CRD .
2007 - 2008 Jeep OM642 Diagnostics .

Last edited by Stewatpark; 24-07-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 24-07-2022
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.
Air in the fuel system is something I had never considered, but would that also not result in drops of fuel on the garage floor? Mine is clean.
I will start with the igniter check to ensure that they do glow. Cheers.