XJ: Fraz's Budget Build with JK Diffs - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-08-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
I thought so too until I saw the sticker below while checking out the 4wd system settings.

Unless I'm a total noob and this is jeep's way of saying I've got an LSD
Sorry to dissapoint you but they all have that sticker, bit misleading but they are referring to the LSD. XJ's have tight LSD's, my stock XJ always chirps tires on tight turns.
I had a feeling that you saw that sticker and with the tight lsd thought you had a locker, that's why I asked.

Last edited by mika; 29-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 29-08-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Welcome mate. 33s on 3" is where I'm headed - along with cutout flares, ford 8.8 rear and 4.56 gears. 285/75 16s are relatively common across brands and come out to about 33x11.5. Look forward to the build
Old 29-08-2013
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika View Post
Sorry to dissapoint you but they all have that sticker, bit misleading but they are referring to the LSD. XJ's have tight LSD's, my stock XJ always chirps tires on tight turns.
I had a feeling that you saw that sticker and with the tight lsd thought you had a locker, that's why I asked.
Bugger! haha

That's okay, the guys at work don't know it's just an LSD

I've started pricing up the short-arm kit and it's looking a lot more manageable than the long-arm. Will also have a little change left over for a lunch-box locker and the bigger tyres.

Will be picking up a set of 31's on TJ Wrangler 15" alloys on Saturday. A friend is selling his TJ and needs tyres that don't scrub on the standard suspension. I've also done him a few favours fixing up his various cars, so the swap is sort of payment as well. It won't be getting driven around much with the 31's until I've got at least a 2" kit in it, although I'm led to believe a 2" in the Sport is the equivalent of a 3" in the other models?

I'll be building shocks for it once the short-arms are in. That way I can make use of the extra flex, and I'll only have to build the shocks once for it. Have also spoken to the engineer at work, and he's happy to sign off on it as long as everything is done properly. He's not too keen on the long-arm set-up, but is happy for me to use the shackle relocation kit as they strengthen that area of the frame up a little in the process. Also gives me some more adjustability for the leaf springs.

With the leafs, I'll most likely be building my own spring starting with a Lovells 2" lifted spring for the Sport. Finding the right width leaves will be the hardest part (65mm wide), but I should get it flexing up pretty well once it's all done. Here's a pic of my Triton flexing out the rear leaves to give you an idea.

The left wheel was still firmly on the ground in that photo, and the spring was just starting to separate in the retaining clamps. I know the XJ is going to have a lot more flex than that, given that it has a much longer leaf spring to play with. I might see if I can sneak some .75" or 1" extended shackles in with the shackle relocation kit to get a little more down-travel from the rear.
Old 01-09-2013
Established Member

Got some more work done to the XJ yesterday. Finished off the service from last week (engine oil, filter, coolant).

Tried to do the rocker-cover gasket, but that was stopped when I broke just about every part of the PCV line at the front of the rocker cover. Is that something that is Jeep-genuine only? or can I replacements elsewhere? Will also need new rubber grommets for the rocker cover, as mine have gone just a little bit hard.

Should also hopefully be able to get some photos up of it sitting on the new alloys and 31's this arvo
Old 02-09-2013
Established Member

Got the 31's and TJ Wrangler alloys fitted last night. Took the pics out the front of work this morning. There's one steel spare as the last allow has a slow leak, so I'll have to clean out the beads and check it over fully.

They're also REALLY LOUD, but nothing a little radio can't fix. Need the lifted springs now though, as they scrub on the inside of the rear guard when I've got my toolbox in the back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31's-1.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	63919   Click image for larger version

Name:	31's-2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	63920  
Old 06-09-2013
Established Member

It's always fun when new goodies turn up to work

Just need to order the upper and lower arms, track rod, tie rods and panhard rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Springs.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	64025   Click image for larger version

Name:	ubolts&bushes.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	64026  
Old 06-09-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Tried to do the rocker-cover gasket, but that was stopped when I broke just about every part of the PCV line at the front of the rocker cover. Is that something that is Jeep-genuine only? or can I replacements elsewhere? Will also need new rubber grommets for the rocker cover, as mine have gone just a little bit hard.
They sell those aftermarket over here in the USA.

I highly doubt these links will do you any good, but it should show you the details and what not of the part. I bought mine genuine from Jeep for like $10 each.

Rubber Grmmets - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=pcv

Back of Valve Cover - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=pcv

Front Of Valve Cover - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=pcv