XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 45 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

Hypothetical.
What if the flow is minimal. Cooling the low flow will not be very effective when the transmission is on high load. Dribbling cool oil in to a lot of hot oil would not be efficient. So if you tapped in to the Pan and pumped lots of very hot oil throw a cooler and dumped it back in to the pan.
Please shoot my idea down before I spend money.
Old 07-01-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

considering oil pressures are generally around 170-250psi i seriously doubt flow is minimal (maybe your pump is toast?). so you are officially shot down
Old 07-01-2011
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
considering oil pressures are generally around 170-250psi i seriously doubt flow is minimal (maybe your pump is toast?). so you are officially shot down
The cooling circuit can't be 170-250psi or my 5 odd liters would have drained in a new split second. The cooler lines are not high pressure fittings. So I am still flying. I am going to find out the flow come hell or high water. My transmission operates with out fault so my pressure is ok.
I'll fly by again and see if I get shot down this time.
Old 07-01-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok this one is on from Carves back in the dark ages when this thread started.

As per the book ... ya lazy sod ...

OIL PUMP VOLUME CHECK
After the new or repaired transmission has been installed, fill to the proper level with Mopart ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176) automatic transmission fluid. The volume should be checked using the following procedure:

(1) Disconnect the From cooler line at the transmission and place a collecting container under the disconnected line.
CAUTION: With the fluid set at the proper level, fluid collection should not exceed (1) quart or internal damage to the transmission may occur.

(2) Run the engine at curb idle speed , with the shift selector in neutral.

(3) If fluid flow is intermittent or it takes more than 20 seconds to collect one quart of ATF PLUS 3, disconnect the To Cooler line at the transaxle.

(4) Refill the transaxle to proper level and recheck pump volume.

(5) If flow is found to be within acceptable limits, replace the cooler. Then fill transmission to the proper level, using Mopart ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176)
automatic transmission fluid.

(6) If fluid flow is still found to be inadequate, check the line pressure using the Transaxle Hydraulic Pressure Test procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-01-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

sorry mate, i am thinking line pressure literally. forgot we were talking about cooler lines here. my bad. keep flying
Old 07-01-2011
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKEE View Post
Ok this one is on from Carves back in the dark ages when this thread started.

As per the book ... ya lazy sod ...

OIL PUMP VOLUME CHECK
After the new or repaired transmission has been installed, fill to the proper level with Mopart ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176) automatic transmission fluid. The volume should be checked using the following procedure:

(1) Disconnect the From cooler line at the transmission and place a collecting container under the disconnected line.
CAUTION: With the fluid set at the proper level, fluid collection should not exceed (1) quart or internal damage to the transmission may occur.

(2) Run the engine at curb idle speed , with the shift selector in neutral.

(3) If fluid flow is intermittent or it takes more than 20 seconds to collect one quart of ATF PLUS 3, disconnect the To Cooler line at the transaxle.

(4) Refill the transaxle to proper level and recheck pump volume.

(5) If flow is found to be within acceptable limits, replace the cooler. Then fill transmission to the proper level, using Mopart ATF PLUS 3 (Type 7176)
automatic transmission fluid.

(6) If fluid flow is still found to be inadequate, check the line pressure using the Transaxle Hydraulic Pressure Test procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found the 1 quart per 20 sec at idle but i'm buggered if I could find the transaxle in my XJ 1996. I'll keep looking and get back to you as soon as I find it.
How much oil flow at high idle. If I have to I'll do a oil volume at high idle but I'm expecting a bath in ATF. Just hoping some one knows. I'm curious as to how much increase in flow there is at normal operating RPM's
Old 07-01-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

You lost the smilies XJKEE ??? ...

Hey Rodge .... I would have thought the "line pressures" in the manual .... were the cooler lines ???

.... or is it actually a reference to gallery/whatever pressures ??? .... be a bit difficult to measure internal pressures I would think tho ???

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line Pressure.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	44995  

Last edited by carvesdodo; 07-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply