XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 50 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2011
Symphony Composer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a big blockage on the radiator, and generating heat as well. I think I will mount mine away from the radiator...

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 28-01-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

so ive had these new fans staring me in the face for 3 weeks now and decided modding them to fit a custom shroud was ideally done in 41 degree heat so dragged my sorry butt out to the shed and started cutting and drilling and grinding and sweating. began by pulling everything back off the car and cutting out a section of the radiator support to fit. then made up the shroud with the cooler mounted directly. tonite its ready to bolt in - hopefully by end of the weekend if i get time. this heat should make for good test runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030323.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	45462   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030328.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	45463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030329.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	45464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030330.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	45465   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030331.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	45466  

Old 28-01-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
so ive had these new fans staring me in the face for 3 weeks now and decided modding them to fit a custom shroud was ideally done in 41 degree heat so dragged my sorry butt out to the shed and started cutting and drilling and grinding and sweating. began by pulling everything back off the car and cutting out a section of the radiator support to fit. then made up the shroud with the cooler mounted directly. tonite its ready to bolt in - hopefully by end of the weekend if i get time. this heat should make for good test runs.
Looks suspisciously like an AC part.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 28-01-2011
AJOR Gold

well it better cool like an ac part cuz i aint doing this again!
Old 03-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
well it better cool like an ac part cuz i aint doing this again!
awwww go on rodge ....

you love the tinkering .....

Finally got round to firing mine up and doing some preliminary checks at idle in the driveway.

Original tranny temps with the stock factory setup ranged from 80'c to 120'c+.

Bypassed the radiator last year and using two of the factory aux coolers ended up with temps of 60'c - 80'c ........ until there was a tow load or a hill and it was back up to 110'c+ and taking ages to cool down.

Indications so far with the PWR cooler are a lower temp and the cooler appears to provide about a 10'c drop across the core at idle. Driving scenario temps to be done later.

Just for interest.....

- 40'c weather temp and as humid as buggery.
- Radiator has been removed/refitted and refilled ... so the coolant temp eventually idled up to 105'c from startup. My electric fan kicks in at 105'c and turns off at 102'c .... so the temp floated 105/102 for a while I checked tranny levels & topped up the tranny oil.
- A can of coke after 4hrs in a good fridge ... 14.5'c
- 60sec at 2000 revs brought coolant temp back to 90'c ... and the max temp after that was 100'c with the aux fan over-ride switch on. Closed the bonnet and after 15min it stabilised at 102'c with the aux fan still on over-ride.
- Hottest coolant temps on the gauge in 12mnths ... but it was idling for 1.5hrs in the driveway.

No apparent effects from the large, heat emitting, oil cooler as yet .... given the conditions and coolant temps comparison with tthe last time the radiator was out.

A test drive when I get some more bits back on it might show different tho ????.

Since Ive finally got my act together ... maybe you other fellas that bought the PWR cooler better dust of your gauges and notebooks ..... so we can bounce some numbers around ????

Last edited by carvesdodo; 03-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2011
AJOR Gold

carvesdodo
Quote:
go on rodge .... you love the tinkering
yeah but i think i spent too much on my cooler because now im too broke to go test it out
Old 03-02-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Hey guys.. just put this concept together.... thoughts? For a 97 update 4.0 based in Sydney.

Thanks
Nash