Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 93 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 155 Times in 112 Posts

Bummer!!

The current owner of the CRD Commander that I am picking up on Friday has confirmed that the N23 recall was carried out Waneroo Jeep (Perth) in January last year. The owner has never engaged 4WD Low since then, so doesn't know if there's a problem or not.

So I rang Waneroo Jeep and asked if the subsequent TSB 21-022-14a had been carried out and it has not.... They said that they can update the software as per the TSB, however they will not look at it unless it's throwing the "service 4WD" error message....

So now I've had to ask the owner if he can try 4 Low a few times to see if it will error and then take it to Waneroo to update prior to me picking it up on Friday. Fingers crossed!!

I really don't like the thought of battling with the small local dealership in Geraldton.
Old 22-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

The owner told me he tried 4 Low this morning and there was no error. When I asked him if he had tried multiple times, the answer was "I'll try it again tonight"......

What are the chances of the N23 updated FDCM not causing the 4 Low issues at all? Or is it just a matter of time before it does without having the latest software update?

I kinda want to tell the guy to keep trying it until it faults, but as I'm picking the car up tomorrow I'm sure he doesn't want the extra hassle of taking it to the dealership to get the software updated and the error cleared. The problem is, the whole time I'm in Perth no Jeep dealership will be open due to the long weekend. Annoying!
Old 22-01-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
The owner told me he tried 4 Low this morning and there was no error. When I asked him if he had tried multiple times, the answer was "I'll try it again tonight"......

What are the chances of the N23 updated FDCM not causing the 4 Low issues at all? Or is it just a matter of time before it does without having the latest software update?

I kinda want to tell the guy to keep trying it until it faults, but as I'm picking the car up tomorrow I'm sure he doesn't want the extra hassle of taking it to the dealership to get the software updated and the error cleared. The problem is, the whole time I'm in Perth no Jeep dealership will be open due to the long weekend. Annoying!
The best way to think about it is that the N23 update 'tightened' the range of allowable values it receives from the transfer case actuator (well the position sensor, to be more accurate.).
So a "perfect" transfer case actuator position sensor will not trigger the error with an N23'd mobile.

But a "used" transfer case actuator will eventually (definitely, literally) cause the error. Maybe immediately when the update is applied, maybe a week later or 5 years later.
I'm not sure how much chance you'll have of it happening within the next day though (if it's not already.), unlikely that anything would change like that.

Oh and the conditions for the error are actually checked when the modules are "powered on", the error is then displayed (if conditions were previously met.) when shifting to 4Lo.
So shifting in and out is not a valid test, you need to turn the car off fully & wait ~10 mins to make sure everything has totally powered down (maybe only a few mins? But you'd never know.) then turn on, shift etc.
Old 23-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
The best way to think about it is that the N23 update 'tightened' the range of allowable values it receives from the transfer case actuator (well the position sensor, to be more accurate.).
So a "perfect" transfer case actuator position sensor will not trigger the error with an N23'd mobile.

But a "used" transfer case actuator will eventually (definitely, literally) cause the error. Maybe immediately when the update is applied, maybe a week later or 5 years later.
I'm not sure how much chance you'll have of it happening within the next day though (if it's not already.), unlikely that anything would change like that.

Oh and the conditions for the error are actually checked when the modules are "powered on", the error is then displayed (if conditions were previously met.) when shifting to 4Lo.
So shifting in and out is not a valid test, you need to turn the car off fully & wait ~10 mins to make sure everything has totally powered down (maybe only a few mins? But you'd never know.) then turn on, shift etc.
Thanks James, that's a brilliant explanation! I have been following this issue for quite some time, but not in as much detail, but as I'm now picking up the car tonight it has dawned on me that I don't know enough. I was wondering why Jeep were changing out actuators as an attempt to fix the issue and now I know why.

Could you please explain your last paragraph a little better? I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the "shifting in and out is not a valid test"? I thought that if it fails it fails and you would receive the error?
Old 23-01-2015
Grand Obsession

Liked 755 Times in 502 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

4 Low is locked out when a C140F code detected, the cause of this is explained in post 435.
Quote:
I thought that if it fails it fails and you would receive the error?
that is the issue, there is no failure.
The code is triggered when certain conditions set by programing aren't met.

The computer checks for this at start up only not every time you select low range.

The code can be set at any time but you will only know about it if you pull the lever.
The warning won't come up at start up even if it detects the fault conditions.
Old 23-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Thanks Clarky.

When I say "fail" I am referring to the moment that the vehicle is locked out of being able to engage 4 Low. Is this moment always indicated by the "service 4WD system" when you try to engage 4 Low or is it already locked out by the stored code and only the light is triggered at the attempt to engage?

I guess I'm simply asking: Light on = no 4WD Low, light off = 4WD Low available?
Old 23-01-2015
Grand Obsession

Liked 755 Times in 502 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's already locked out by the stored code and only the light is triggered at the attempt to engage.
Old 24-01-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Hi Hanna, Clarky has answered it, but just to be double-clear...
The computer only actually checks the signal from the transfer case motor when the car is started, not each time you shift into 4Lo.

So to try to cause the error like you asked the prev. owner to do, you need to actually turn the car on, shift to 4lo, shift back, turn car off (which means waiting some time for the computers to power down fully.) and repeat.
If the transfer case motor is 'border-line', testing repeatedly like that may eventually give the error.

Testing while everything is hotter (say after some 4wding) would also increase the chance of it happening (because there'll be more electrical resistence and maybe some movement in the position sensor.).

You're picking the car up today ay?
Try 4lo a few times on the drive back, maybe each time you stop for a break (if you do.) then again before you start driving again.

Enjoy the drive anyway. I got my WH from Melbourne, the drive home was good bonding time .
Post New Thread  Reply