Anybody installed stroker kit for WH 5.7L Hemi ? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Anybody installed stroker kit for WH 5.7L Hemi ?

Hi Guys,

I am keen to stroke my 2005 WH 5.7L GCL Hemi to CID 390 (6.4L).
A number of stroker kits or short block options are available in the USA. I realise that the engine management module will have to be re-mapped and a dedicated tune installed to cope.
Anybody on this forum had any experience with 370 or 390 stroker kits for the 5.7 Hemi or know of a tuner capable of writing the software for same ?

Rod
Old 24-05-2013
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I don't know of anyone that has done it in Australia at all. Love to do it to mine though.
http://www.modernmuscleperformance.c.../mm57392sk.htm

I wonder if you could get away with just running bigger injectors? The stock computer should just keep the right air fuel ratio providing the the injectors can deliver without going outside their range.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 27-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warod View Post
Hi Guys,

I am keen to stroke my 2005 WH 5.7L GCL Hemi to CID 390 (6.4L).
A number of stroker kits or short block options are available in the USA. I realise that the engine management module will have to be re-mapped and a dedicated tune installed to cope.
Anybody on this forum had any experience with 370 or 390 stroker kits for the 5.7 Hemi or know of a tuner capable of writing the software for same ?

Rod
Rod, if your going to be a Bear, might as well be a Grizzly... Buy the 426ci short... 7 litres, no less.

The engine is easy. The problem you will have is with engine management.

You will need to add a piggy back ECU. A stand alone ECU will not run your trans, so leave the standard ECU in place and only tell it what it needs to know to run the trans, the engine can then be controlled with an aftermarket ECU as a piggy back. I have only had experience with Motec and Autronic, whilst these are the best, they could be a bit pricey, if so, I would contact Haltech for the ECU. You will not get a tune or file to work with the Export ECU we have - period, and just adding larger injectors will not work.

Do not get sucked in to running a Chip type piggy back ECU. Contact either of the three I have listed or Link G4, nothing less. Cheap is a short term fix for a long term problem.

Also, be prepared for a long road. You need to be able to roll with the punches and expect problems and issues. If this is not you, dont do it.

I'm sorry if I have come across a bit preachy, I have extensive experience in this field and am only talking from seeing this sort of thing work well and fail miserably.

If you are looking for someone in Perth who will not mess you around and will tell it how it is, speak to Mark at Marks Workshop in York.
Old 27-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Trailhawk,

Appreciate the comments.....
Old 05-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

bump to this thread....has anyone tried to stroke the 5.7 yet and get some engine management to play-ball?
Old 10-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery View Post
bump to this thread....has anyone tried to stroke the 5.7 yet and get some engine management to play-ball?
I've been doing some reading on the options for us tuning wise as I've been wondering about the stroker kits. The most appealing one for me HP Tuners VCM Editor which has all the key things you'd want to adjust timing, fueling and some of the other minor things. The challenge is that for 2005-2007 they do not support our transmission (545RFE) so they can't make any changes to the transmission which leaves us needing a Superchips to adjust the transmission. I am not sure if anyone has got the two to operate together but seems to still be the problem we've yet to solve, HP Tuners have stated in their forum that they are unlikely to support the older 545RFE anytime in the future.
Old 10-06-2018
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

thanks for your post!

Such a shame that we cant run the diablo software like the US guys can.

What pitfalls are we up against with a swap to a compatible US ECU?
Post New Thread  Reply