PULP FICTION ?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default PULP FICTION ??

I was told that Jeeps are designed to run on high octane fuel - 98%, so in otherwords, high end PULP like Optimax.

I tried it in my XJ for a while, but didn't see any major improvement. To set the picture, my XJ on 31 claws was returning 18-20+lt / 100km. This was after servicing, tuning, TBS ... Nothing exciting.

However, after about 4 tanks of PULP, I have this to report...
On a the weekend I did a straight run to Echuca and back. Sat on the speed limit. 455km out of my tank.

did some rough figures as follows:
455km travelled
65 lts to refill.

7km / lt; or
14.3lt / 100km

This is the best I have ever been able to obtain on straight highway running and on 31s.

The way I see it:
It costs me approximately $6.50 more to fill PULP (average .10c more to buy PULP)
However, I am using approx 4 lt less per 100km travelled (based on my average of 18-20lt /.100). On a 450 km/per tank, that is 18 lts less used, or 125 more km travelled (based on 4lts less per 100km)
Either way, I think that 18 lts saved at approx .90 (av ULP) saves me about $16 tank ???

Maths is not my strong point - so open to anyone that wants to point out the error of my calculation. It hurts filling up with PULP, but with 450 a tank instead of my usual 330 - I'm pretty happy.
Old 04-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish we had better diesel in this country. I average about 9.5L/100km in the CRD which gives me damn near 800km to my 78L tank.

In Europe, a mate of a mate's I know is getting around 8.5L/100km - and that's on openhighway/city cycle like me. It's calimed that their diesel is much cleaner-burning than ours - propbably due to the high price of petrol, and the total acceptance of diesel in all types of vehicle.

Is there a similar difference in "burnability" or efficiency in diesel fuel too?
http://www.omaroo.net
Old 04-05-2004
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy
I wish we had better diesel in this country. I average about 9.5L/100km in the CRD which gives me damn near 800km to my 78L tank.
My god, how on earth are you coping???? (Lucky bastard...sooo jealous!)
Old 04-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ben - Diesel is slightly higher priced than unleaded... so the difference in economy is slightly offset by the price per litre (I paid $1.09 this morning in Sydney for diesel).
Old 04-05-2004

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Check out BP 98 ron ( just watch they have 3 grades a standard a 95 and a 9 most of the performace guys on other forums report much better and predicable results with BP to the point of tunning their cars on the dyno using it and then found pinging etc on the shell optimax
Old 04-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

David

I used the Mobil Synergy 7000 in my turbo Saabs over Optimax any day. The rest of the Saabers I know do the same.
Old 04-05-2004
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't had any trouble with Optimax - but Chrispy, can you tell me why you don't like optimax? Damm those Coles shopping vouchers - I get 4c off shell I think safeway gives me mobil vouchers - I may be swapping
Post New Thread  Reply