Jeep resale valuations... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2006
Sticker Ninja!

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would've thought insurance companies might have had their say and put some pressure on them to look at the pricing of parts. then again they probably don't care, they just charge us for insurance to cover it.

eg; wj headlight assy $900+ each. that's insane
Old 22-02-2006
Ive been here for a while

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

toyota maybe?

Old 22-02-2006
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

eg; wj headlight assy $900+ each. that's insane

How about Toyota Echo headlight assembly- $650.00, given economies of scale and sheer numbers in Australia it should be a lot cheaper. I kinda get tired of everyone always stating how expensive Jeep parts are- Jeep owners have access to more after market parts than any other brand and with the guys bringing stuff in ie Wooders, Poly, Hammonds, Suburban, etc if you don't want to pay for genuine you can get aftermarket. Hell you can build an entire car from the aftermarket nowadays, find me another brand that gives you that much flexability. Genuine parts are expensive, that is the nature of genuine parts no matter what brand you buy. end of rant....

mopar accessories on the other hand are ludicrously expensive......
Old 22-02-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel
Take those figures with a very large grain of salt, however bare in mind that mid 90's Cruiser's had a major advantage when the Yen went through the roof, Toyota started de-speccing the cars and charging $10-$15K more for them. It was possible for a while to actually get a straight c/o from an old Cruiser into a new one. The flip side of that is the Aussie dollar strengthened in relation to the U.S Dollar and Jeeps have continued to come down in price. If you want to see scary devaluation buy a 318 or similar BMW or worse still, a 7 series or S class Merc, then you'll see how much money you can lose....

All this is based on real world wholesale figures not the somewhat questionable Glass's or Redbook figures.l

Client of mine bought a Merc a couple of years ago and paid 230k went to trade it in the other day and was offered 70K.
Old 22-02-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some good points made here.....if you buy genuine Jeep parts then you maintain your Jeep as the designers originally envisaged.....I am not suggesting we use sub-standard parts but as I mentioned earlier many parts are supplied by manufacturers who may also supply to Ford, General Motors and a number of others...I have brought 'genuine' parts for my Jeep from Repco that have come from the same US factory as the part listed for a Holden Commodore (Australian made??). The Jeep price was $168, the Holden price $36. (Heater control valve).
Old 23-02-2006
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

It's best to shop around for parts before going to Jeep, CV Boot for a Brumby is the same as the Jeep, $22 at Repco, upper rad hose $17. lower $47 from Coventry. I can buy the parts and fill the tank and still be ahead of the price for a lower Rad hose from Jeep.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 25-02-2006
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone who is wondering why spare parts are so expensive here in Aus it is called transfer pricing it is an accounting method that is used so the big companies with overseas head offices can avoid paying tax in Australia.
If a spare part is sold cheaply here then that cost can't be claimed as an input cost eg a $900 light assembly -the company would pay approx that price to head office in the US thus they only pay tax on the profit maybe a few percent of that price and thus most of the cash goes straight out of Aus without the taxman getting much at all.Thus any profits made importing and selling cars here can be slipped under the radar.If a car is manufactured here it is even more lucrative eg 2x$900 lights,$1500 for the standard wheels,several grand for the interior parts etc. etc.etc. in the end the company pays no tax at all because it costs more to build than they sell it for.Smart but sneaky.
Obviously they then can't sell those parts for what they are really worth because the tax dept. might go hang on a minute what's going on here.
Post New Thread  Reply