URGENT HELP steerring wheel needed - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-12-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

just leave the nut on the end of the thread and hit it with a hammer while pulling the wheel back with your legs, if you can't get a hammer in there use a 1/2" extension bar and hit that.
Old 17-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar madness View Post
just leave the nut on the end of the thread and hit it with a hammer while pulling the wheel back with your legs, if you can't get a hammer in there use a 1/2" extension bar and hit that.
did so , I used the threaded bolt off the broken puller , it is really stuck on there so much so that when the two prong puller broke it also burred the ends of the wheel cups where the puller ends go , I fixed the one prong bolt that broke BUT the area that the prong sits is so burred that it will not sit on that area that its suppose to go it is so tight that the base has bent it is so tight that it could become a politician!. I just got to wait till the new wheel puller turns up , NOW I paid for express post lets just see how long it takes for the so called express post takes . as for the shaft due to the force placed onto it I think it has crushed the collapsible part of the shaft (the end part of wheel , and or the top part of the adjustable inner part , hard to tell due to I cant get the blasted wheel off , and no specs on how long the whole shaft should be ? (the manual I got doesn't give specs as it shows as whole unit) the wheel itself doesn't go right down where it shoud be , if it did there wouldn't be a problem in the first place , I think all the force has buggered it ( from the first time I had to pull it to replace spring clock ) it was and still is LOCKED ON . that is a problem with pig alloy
IT IS REALLY A PIG
Old 17-12-2014
No Winching

Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

I have to admit to not knowing exactly how the Jeep column is designed and how it collapses, however I cannot see how you can damage the assembly with a puller. You can destroy the wheel of course but I can't see how you can put force on the shaft to collapse it. If the wheel won't pull off the spline there is nothing fixed to allow the puller to exert downward force on the shaft all it can do is destroy the puller itself. The only way you could have buggered the shaft is by belting the crap out of it.
Old 18-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
I have to admit to not knowing exactly how the Jeep column is designed and how it collapses, however I cannot see how you can damage the assembly with a puller. You can destroy the wheel of course but I can't see how you can put force on the shaft to collapse it. If the wheel won't pull off the spline there is nothing fixed to allow the puller to exert downward force on the shaft all it can do is destroy the puller itself. The only way you could have buggered the shaft is by belting the crap out of it.
after several hours of trying with the puller , I tried as some said in the forum , I got the centre of the the puller (the bolt) placed my knees behind the wheel and belted the crap out of it , this in turn has not moved the wheel at all , but forced the centre downwards only a little but has started the crush section on it merry way when you look at the top at the TILT section there is a bearing , this also has made movement unlike a cyl head which is made from a good alloy , the wheel is made from what they call "pig alloy" which is good in a sence if the car cops a smash the wheel wouldn't go through the driver but break I guess and the column fold inwards with the force of what I used trying to belt the crap out of it , has forced the inner shaft downwards , I can look at the end knuckle and see how near it is to the firewall and the plate . the shaft I had to pull on to bring back so the knuckle would join to the steering shaft that comes through the firewall
my own fault of course , I should of taken the time to really look ,
the wheel has locked hard onto the shaft , it has moved a little but I would say alloy bits where it has not lined up from the splines will have caused it to lock up and should of never tried to belt the hell out of it , and should of waited for the correct puller and even that might not have worked , my old one has bent the base of the alloy and now will not lock onto the wheel to pull it)

Last edited by bleetnblurt; 18-12-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 18-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I don't know the exact circumstances, not being there in person, but it sounds like you might have to cut the old one off?
Or if you have purchased another column, just pulling the column out?

No Problem
˙˙˙ɯǝlqoɹd
Old 18-12-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

A bit confused here (not unusual) have you got it back together with all the parts or is it still a problem? I have a 03wg here with column and wheel, in spare parts car, had
engine fire. I have not tried to remove the wheel...
I also posted a link from Fbook for a wj in Griffith with a dead V8 only missing a tail light
it was $400 but I think it is gone as the link is dead.
Cheers John
Old 18-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55zed View Post
A bit confused here (not unusual) have you got it back together with all the parts or is it still a problem? I have a 03wg here with column and wheel, in spare parts car, had
engine fire. I have not tried to remove the wheel...
I also posted a link from Fbook for a wj in Griffith with a dead V8 only missing a tail light
it was $400 but I think it is gone as the link is dead.
Cheers John
hi john , I am waiting for the parts to show from Melbourne , but thanks for letting me know , I do try to look through the for sale section , but that can some what be a bit of a mess. I do not (and I must be the only one that doesn't ) use FB same goes for the other stuff like twitting twits so on , I did for a little while , but man oh man if I have to entertain my mind by that sort of thing I may as well make a shrine with candles and a temple of sorts and worship the IBM sign or INTEL or what ever chip is going. I don't mind building coms and networking (hardware) but when it comes to the smart phone (which I prefer to call these devices smartarse ) im just waiting for the day where sex will be obsolete and meeting people will be banned. (don't they have that now?) LoL . I tried to do all this , and doing on my own , as most people here if there not sucking on some sort of tube , or wasting there minds on whatever eases there minds for a quick fix , they stay clear of it. the only time I get a visit is when something is wrong with there car , and want me to fix it for nothing , just like a trailer I did where I had to go out to it and man oh man the whole brake system was shot , working in the hot sun (or in fact what ever weather) is not GOOD for me at all , and is really paying out on my health (it could very easy kill me) but I have no choice. unless if I want to spend thousands of dollars and still get a rough job , it is now 6 days away from three months when the fish and chip man hit my car , he said he would pay , but I am still waiting , and what I am doing does strain the wallet and health .
Post New Thread  Reply