Trailhawk Just Died - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts
Default Trailhawk Just Died

Good Morning all

Am on holidays had been out to Bellbrook chasing bass the week before, all dirt roads and a few shallow river crossings, all was good and the jeep was doing fine. I came into Coffs on my way home to the Blue Mountains and started to receive warning on the dash about the air suspension, then the battery light came on, I just got to the caravan park and everything started to go haywire. Wipers cam on really slowly, other warnings and signs on the dash, then no power steer, then engine would not turn off. I pulled the push button and used the key. Car would not restart. Jumped it from my spare battery, car stated but only idled for 3 min and turned off. Anyways had it towed to Jeep, And was informed yesterday that I needed
New Battery
New Alternator
New Alternator belt
To which would cost with Labour (150 an Hour ) $1850 plus the hour yesterday to tell me this. I'm not a sparking or a mechanic but I am very suspicious as this dealer knows I need to be back in Sydney by Monday and without this car I am trapped. ( been burnt before by Jeep )Is is possible that all these things need replacing? help greatly appreciated
Old 03-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What year model, petrol or diesel & how many km have you travelled ?Have a read of this
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...grand-cherokee
If a petrol model check to see if it's covered by the T36 recall.

All the symptoms point to a dead battery/alternator.
Old 03-01-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts

2012 Trailhawk 3.0ltr Diesel. 174,000 original Battery.

What do you think of the the pricing to replace. Of cours they were needed to be shipped up from Melb last night

Thanks for the help
Old 03-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd be fitting one of these batteries as it will be cheaper to having Jeep supply one

https://www.marshallbatteries.com.au...es/ssagm-88eu/

I'd also be looking at the alternator for visible signs of damage ie: heat damage to exterior & cables.
Is worth contacting these guys ASAP to see if they can express freight a 2nd hand alternator to your LOC
http://allgrandcherokee.com.au/

Cheers
Old 03-01-2019
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts

I would also think of giving Huw Todd at MotorSpark in Melbourne for his advice. He is a very high-tech auto electrician.
Old 03-01-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah, sounds like the normal alternator failure. You may be able to get a 2nd hand or reconditioned one a bit cheaper if you have the time to ring around.
Old 03-01-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

TR Laredo, i had one of these fitted last week, made by Exide and $300 at Geelong Marshall Batteries.
Post New Thread  Reply