Feedback on lift kits & tires - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Feedback on lift kits & tires

Hi, I'm fairly new to 4WD and off-roading. Recently bought a 2015 Wrangler Sport (2 dr, 6 spd manual). The vehicle setup is factory standard with all-terrain tires. Been out a couple of times on the Mundaring power line tracks and absolutely loved it; hooked now. I am planning on tackling more challenging climbs and terrain soon and would like to upgrade with a 2" lift kit and larger 33" mud tires. I don't know much being fairly new so did some research and i believe this setup would be optimum for what i would need. Not sure about brands though so could use some feedback. So far based on what i've read and heard, OME would be a good choice for the lift kit and MT for the tires. I don't mind paying a bit extra for added quality. Thoughts?

Also appreciate if anyone could advise on reliable dealers/workshops for installation. I live in Perth.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2016
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Feedback on lift kits & tires

I have an 2.5 AEV and I love it.
One thing I was told when I was looking to update was to think about what you're going to do with your rig. Back country,rock climbing, overland or street use only.
Once you have an idea then you can focus on the upgrades that will best suit your type of use.
When you're talking to members ask what they do with their rigs and then ask what equipment they have or more importantly ask what they want!
Have fun and enjoy.
It's a great life

Gravel travels with Edgrrrr
Old 12-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you have already experienced the Powerlines and enjoy that type of off roading, you already have a sketch of what you may require.
Spend some time reseaching this forum for ideas as there is plenty here. You will find the pros and cons everywhere.
Take a nice drive to SBR Offroad in Wangara and see what is available there in advice and aftermarket stuff.
Which area do you live in?
Old 12-01-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Great thanks for all the tips. I'm in West Perth. I did not want to jump to an upgrade when I first got the Jeep since I was still new to off-roaming and needed to see what I enjoyed. Now that I've got a taste for it I think I know what I'd like but will definitely do a bit more research. I was slightly hesitant on an upgrade after receiving some initial advice on the impact it would have on road driving. But the reality is I live and work in the city and most of the time don't do that much road driving anyway hence I think it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade and enjoy my off-roaring more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've got the teraflex 2.5" with teraflex shocks and must say it is awesome for the price. From the top of my head I only paid about $1100 or $1200 delivered from SBR.

Old 12-01-2016
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I have run 3 different lift kits and tire combos over the last 4 years and 150,000 kms in my CRD JKU and I would personally recommend Fox shocks and Synergy springs for lift and Nitto Trail Grapples for rubber (just my 2 cents). I have also heard great things about the AEV kit however I have not experience the AEV product myself so I cannot really comment.

The Fox shocks are valved for the Synergy springs and as a result give the truck great handling characteristics both on and off road. I would also recommended adjustable control arms (uppers or lowers) in the front to correct the caster angel back to factory and an adjustable track bar to re-center the diff. A rear track bar bracket will also improve handling after she is lifted.

I recommend the Nitto tiers as they are great value for money and you can fit a 33.6 inch on a standard JK rim. Unlike the MTZ's and Mud hogs I have run previously I have found that the Nittos still have great on and off road grip when half worm. This to me presents greater value as the are useful off road for much longer than the other two brands. They also stay round and balanced easy when they are half worn.

I ran the OME lift in my rig for only 6 month before swamping it out. I found the springs to be too harsh however this was 4 years ago and I am sure the OME setups have changed over the years.

Just try to remember that USA companies like Fox, PPM and AEV have spent a lot more time in research and developmental of their products and as a result will usually provide a better result. ARB / OME are more focused on the Toyota’s and Patrols as this in their main source of revenue. They have been trying to get more business from the Jeep community lately in the US but still do not have the research and development to the same standards as the long term US players.

Final Comment: You get what you pay for
Old 12-01-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for that. Good point on the US manufacturers. I'll do more research on my end.

Post New Thread  Reply