Spring & shock lift coming soon - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-09-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have replaced the tie down point that came with the car with a proper recovery point that mounts in the same 3 holes but I cant see that it is possible to keep that point when the Jeep nudge bar is mounted. When I asked the dealer about the possible use of the Nudge bar mounting for recovery they said NO, those eyelets are only for tie down and possible towing or a light recovery (whatever that is) but not for a snatch recovery.
So I am totally confused as to the recovery points you have!?

Alfred
Old 29-09-2007
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When the OE nudge bar is fitted, the mounting brackets go where the tie down points are. They use those 3 holes. The mounting brackets for the nudge bar actually incorporate large recovery eyelets where you can fit a shackle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	21777  

Last edited by mkh; 29-09-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 30-09-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm v interested in how this lift goes. Just back from Fraser Island and the Commander went really well (once I realised just how important it was to do what the book says, and turn the "ESP OFF" before getting into deep sand). However, it scrapes its belly constantly travelling along pre-existing wheel ruts in the sand tracks which adds a lot to the effort it takes to plough along. The other thing I found is that it's essential to remove the silly front spoiler thing before going off the tar. Broke the middle tab on it before realising it was (relatively) easily removed. Despite a fair bit of banging, whacking, thumping and clatter from under the body due to stray sticks, tree roots and semi-submerged rocks, I couldn't see any underbody damage at all which shows it's pretty well protected. Also all the electronic gadgetry worked flawlessly; I was worried some of the sensors might fail or develop problems.
With 7 of us in the vehicle, it did bottom out occassionally. Would be nice to put it up 50 mm but if 30 mm is the best that can be done, it will still be worth it. Any idea of cost fitted?
Old 30-09-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Bushtracker, the Dobinsons spring lift as rated as 30-40mm @ 200kg ie the lift is still 35+mm higher than stock when there is 200kg *in the boot*. They also (as I've discovered) under quote!

Mine has come up 60+mm in the front and 70mm in the rear and even with case & stuff for 4 for the weekend it only dropped about 8mm.

Handling is awesome, I guess time will tell re the clearance. I'm at Fraser over New Year, after the (unlifted) WG bottoming out / getting stuck last year I'm really looking forward to trying the lifted XH this year.
Old 01-10-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Bomber
Great to see you're prepared to be the Ozzie guinea pig!
So if I want the same kit, I assume there must be a specific model of Bilstein shock and Dobinson coil to ask for? Can you advise?
You mentioned (and i saw it myself also) that the Americans get nervous if the lift is too high (>2 inches) as it might affect the various sensors. Any evidence of this yet? Are you still concerned this might be the case?
Did you need to get the castor/camber adjusted for this lift?
On another matter, one of the reasons the ground clearance is ordinary is the standard tyres are relatively small. I'm a bit confused about the maximum tyre size that will fit the vehicle without cutting into the guards etc. I can see the bolt at the front that would need to be shortened. Do you have any idea how much taller the tyres can be taken to (i.e. tyre size) without creating clearance issues apart from shortening this bolt? Also, what do you reckon is the largest tyre size that can fit into the spare wheel well?
Finally, do you know much about the Startech diesel chip for the 3 litre diesel engine? Is it available in Oz?
BB
Old 08-10-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Wow Bushtracker - slow down, I only get an hour for lunch .

* Call Darren at ATS Geelong for the part numbers, they are not on my invoice.
* No problems detected with ESP and handling is waaay better. Camber / caster cannot be altered on XH/WH. It seems that this lift is just under the height which would cause an issue, generally regarded on the US forums as being closer to 75mm than 70mm.
* I have 245/70/17 - 31"), up one size from stock. What will fit depends on the shape of the tyre but based on US forums this is as big as you can go without cutting. Mine's leased so I can't cut! This is also the biggest that will fit as a spare AFAIK, I haven't bought my spare yet (cashflow) but if you have a tow bar anything bigger would be a definite "no".
* No nuttin about Startech chip but would have thought the DP chip would be cheaper. I did the tunit chip on the WG but not bothering with it on the XH, lifting it instead of making tow the caravan faster .

Last edited by Bomber; 08-10-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Bomber,

Interested to know what tyres you had on when the lift happened? By my calculation the 245/70 give about 25mm above stock and if you already had them on your lift would be about 80-90mm above stock. Or have I got it wrong somewhere.

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin

2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.0 CRD
Post New Thread  Reply