I took my tj for a dip and now it's got some intermittent squeaks - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-05-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I took my tj for a dip and now it's got some intermittent squeaks

Hi all,

New TJ owner here and loving it.
My jeep decided it wanted to park in a decent mud puddle for a while, maybe around half an hour. After I gave it a wash I've been getting some intermittent squeaks. I managed to stop it today but putting in into 4wd for a moment. Knowing I've got super fine mud In and on everything what should I be looking for and checking.

Thanks in advance
Old 22-05-2020
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

It's possible that the centering joint in the front driveshaft is going bad. You could try spraying some lube into the center of the joint near the transfer case to see if helps. If it does, you're going to need to replace that joint before it seizes. You could also remove the shaft and see how stiff that joint is.

All it takes is a 5/16" or 8mm ring spanner (or box end wrench, I don't know what you'd call them in Australia). Jacking a front wheel up so you can rotate the shaft to access the bolts at the transfer case end will help get to them, but you might need to drop the wheel so you can get the leverage to cracks the bolts loose.

Here's a couple of links that will give you a idea what's involved...
https://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/dri...iveshaft-1.htm
https://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/dri...iveshaft-5.htm

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 22-05-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 23-05-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

if you replace the front centering yoke Spicer part number 211355x from Rock Auto is the way to go https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/da...oint+yoke,2408

mine was on its way out so replaced it with the type lisited which has a grease nipple fitted. the old unit wasn't too bad in condtion but the existing grease was hard and dry and some wear was showing. I could have re-filled it with grease but changed it along with all uni joints front and rear and the Jeep runs more smoother now

I made the mistake of getting same from Quadratec at nearly twice the price as rockauto did not have it listed against my model year but later putting the part number in search it came up. ouch!.

use Castrol SBX2 in it. this grease is a black lithium moly disulphide complex grease with graphite solids and is ideal for ball joints and the like
Old 25-05-2020
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I found the culprit, managed to get the front part of the drive shaft off and lube the uni joint. Squeak has disappeared for now. But now I have coolant dripping down next to it lol, jeep life.
Thank you all for your help ��

ended up ordering 5 uni's and the centring yoke. Any tips on where to find a press to do the uni's and grease gun?

Last edited by Spagy_TJ; 26-05-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: update
Old 26-05-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

grease gun at supercheap or similar, I've not done TJ unis but a hammer and vice should be all you need once you have removed the circlips.

Regards,
Tote
Old 26-05-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagy_TJ View Post
I think I found the culprit, managed to get the front part of the drive shaft off and lube the uni joint. Squeak has disappeared for now. But now I have coolant dripping down next to it lol, jeep life.
Thank you all for your help ��

ended up ordering 5 uni's and the centring yoke. Any tips on where to find a press to do the uni's and grease gun?
I just put the axle or driveshaft on my knees and tap with a hammer.The caps back themselves out