JK surrounded by Nissans Help me !! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-05-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK surrounded by Nissans Help me !!

Greetings all,

This weekend I'm heading up to Stockton Beach with my brand new only a 1000k old Jeep Jk with the Nissan Patrol Club. I'm very experienced with Sand driving and done Stockton many times in my previous Landcruiser /Patrol/ XJ Cherokee. This will be the first time my little red Genii makes a debut in 4wd. I only have stock recovery points at this stage in fact Genii is completely stock CRD, 6spd and Fire Engine red. The Nissan's are already lining up to take the mickey out of my little red tart. Parts falling off, where is the recovery points, good thing she is a 4door so you have room to take all your parts home blah blah blah. So I've got nothing to lose when I get stuck etc as they are expecting it. BUT I'm looking for other JK Diesel 6 spd owners to give me some tips with the JK. I know about turning off ESP though I'm confused a bit how that works and I'm going to play with that a bit today, but what about other little electronic bits? I'm thinking the tyre pressure alarm is going to go off when I drop the tyres down to about 15psi (sound good? that worked great on my cruiser) Does the alarm go off continually or does it howl just once and leave a light on? 4h seems to have a very high 1st gear (compared to what I've driven before) so I think 4lo is the go. Is there any problems running into the higher gears with 4lo? Come on fellow Jeepers Help me out!!! lol

Chris
Old 14-05-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

the tyre pressure only ding once, but the light remains on. to turn off ESP, you gotta shift to 4h, hold the button for 7 seconds, when the car remain stop. It confirms the action with the odometer showing a message "ESPOFF" and hear a ding.

In 4L, the ESP goes to off mode by itself.
Old 14-05-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Tyre pressure alarm will only go for a few moments and then beep every so often afterwards (seems to be every hour for me). You'll get used to that. Tyre pressure is your choice and will depend on the sand condition hey.

Nothing wrong with running around in 4Low all day - you will have no Computer assistance in 4 low except for the brake lock diff and ABS, neither of which should cause you an issue as you have torque which the petrols do not.

In 4 High while sitting stationary with engine running you can press and hold the ESP OFF button - first the light will turn on and then keep holding and the ESP should turn off completely and it will report this in the gauge cluster. This will allow shenanigans in 4 high. Simply having ESP in partial off (light on but no messages) will allow you a moderate amount of wheelspin but in my auto seems to limit revs somewhat.

ps: you will crush them

Last edited by Yom; 14-05-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 14-05-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 6 speed crd and L4 is the way to go on sand
Old 14-05-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 6sp CRD 2-door. Took it on Fraser Island about this time last year, didn't bother with turning off ESP or letting air out of the tyres. Didn't have a problem.
Old 14-05-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Yom said, the tyre pressure really depends on the conditions and what do you plan to do.

I read in the US forums about guys doing amazingly low pressures (6-8 psi), I don't know if I would be that brave....

Mine is a petrol and I prefer to drive in 4lo in stockton, manly using 3rd,4th.

I would be interested to hear how did you go and if you felt the eletronics were holding you back...
Old 14-05-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

the traction computer trickery seems to affect the petrol unlimiteds moreso than the Shorties (seems to be more the unlimited owners complaining about the electronics anyway).

I suspect it might have something to do with the epic wheelbase, particularly when driving on off camber unpacked surfaces.
Post New Thread  Reply