Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 28 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Do you have any proof? there is plenty of evidence that points out the Large majority are from legal imports no manufactured or illegal import.

wrong Most pistols are semi auto or double action revolvers not single shots or single action revolvers.....there have been and will always be long arms in police raids the pistol is a choice weapon because you can hide it but thay are had to get imported illegally or to manufacture and yes i do know of the thousands of Glocks out there.......but the Marjory of police confiscations are not these plenty of stolen pistols are returning to their proper owners.

Guns wear out shit really!.......hmm must be like the 100 year old rifle in my safe....fully functioning
they only wear out if they are used and i use mine more than any crim!

i was there handing in all sorts of semi and full auto firearms in 1996 i had a licence for full autos and i could have kept them hidden like plenty of others but i didnt.......some days i think we(licensed firearms owners) should have done what the Canadians and Kiwis had done and told them to shove it.

i would still have my Bren and Uzi just for the enjoyment of shooting on range days

the rest does not fit in with reality thats why it didnt need comment.

the Black market for illegal handguns is growing yes but its not the largest source of illegal firearms until the day the crims can import thousands in a week for decades it wont change
You seem intent of deliberately misreading my posts for some reason. Why is that?

My statement was that most of the guns imported pre 96 were not semi auto, or not hand guns. Somehow you have turned that into handguns aren't semi auto? Maybe you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

When were full autos legal in this country? I was under the impression that they had been banned since well before 96 unless deactivated? Please correct me.

The crims have been importing large numbers. The cops uncovered evidence of 200 (of which the majority weren't recovered) how many are brought in undetected? It's anyone's guess, so how can you say that it doesn't count? You haven't provided proof of your claims that it is all pre 96 guns...

Edit, just looked it up, I didn't realize full auto hadn't been banned in tassie like the mainland in the 30's.

Last edited by Wombat756; 13-10-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 13-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
They aren't cowboys. Semi autos are perfectly legal under the right licence. There is however a difference between semi auto ( fires once each time the trigger is pulled) and auto (pull and hold the trigger and the gun continues to fire until the magazine is empty). As said previously, full auto hasn't been legal on this country for decades. Semi auto still is legal, just more restricted than before 96.

Semi auto is definitely needed for the aerial cullers. It would just not be cost effective with a bolt action, they wouldn't kill anywhere enough ferals to justify the helicopter fuel.
You can bump fire a semi auto firearm, effectively making it an automatic firearm...
Old 13-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by task82 View Post
You can bump fire a semi auto firearm, effectively making it an automatic firearm...
Haha while that is technically true, it is far from effective.
Old 13-10-2013
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

Gun control has never been about guns. It has always been, and will always be about control. The "it's for public safety" is just a convenient line that pollies can use to gain control.
this right here is what its all about . political agendas and nothing more .

those that want guns to harm people or commit crime will get them regardless of laws .

same as crossbows being banned/restricted even though they are no more lethal than a bow and arrow .
Old 13-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
You seem intent of deliberately misreading my posts for some reason. Why is that?

My statement was that most of the guns imported pre 96 were not semi auto, or not hand guns. Somehow you have turned that into handguns aren't semi auto? Maybe you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.
i would say its both of us perhaps

the statement that is in bold is wrong..... as for the hand guns i was pointing out they want them full stop but semi auto and double action revolvers are their preferred

Quote:
When were full autos legal in this country? I was under the impression that they had been banned since well before 96 unless deactivated? Please correct me.

The crims have been importing large numbers. The cops uncovered evidence of 200 (of which the majority weren't recovered) how many are brought in undetected? It's anyone's guess, so how can you say that it doesn't count? You haven't provided proof of your claims that it is all pre 96 guns...

Edit, just looked it up, I didn't realize full auto hadn't been banned in tassie like the mainland in the 30's.
it was more than 200 glocks imported....a Glock factory worker selling them to a german gun dealer who sent them onto a Australian postal worker....i read the report

as for the pre 1996 guns,its on the subject of semi/auto firearms that got largely banned every time you see a SKK or SKS etc 9 times out of 10(one cannot be 100% unless you trace the manufactures serial numbers) its going to be a firearm that was to be "handed in" ,one could also go by the condition of the firearms confiscated most are old looking not new.

Full autos(and any other type of fire arm) were termed decommissioned if they had the barrels filled with lead(now they have to be welded up fully).....i know of one person in Launceston who had six such pistols( i had seen WWI and WWII full autos done the same way) with leaded barrel......ended up being sold by his parents in a garage sale without his knowledge.

no doubt they person who ended up with them just melted the lead out

a possible source for "illegal" pistols
Old 13-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A big problem i think Australia has is we cannot leave peoples pass times alone.....Ban 4x4s ban guns ban fishing ban mountain bikes etc etc

NZ and other countries are far ahead of us in this respect as they are happy to let people do things that are here "not kosher"

dirt biking 4wding etc are normal so is hunting and sporting shooting...sounds good to me

this is the thing we need to fix or even the gas guzzling Jeeps we drive will be just scrap for China.

a happy medium needs to be found and IMHO NZ is the best example of it
Old 13-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexytj View Post
this right here is what its all about . political agendas and nothing more .

those that want guns to harm people or commit crime will get them regardless of laws .

same as crossbows being banned/restricted even though they are no more lethal than a bow and arrow .
You've hit the nail on the head! Regardless of laws, those that want to commit crime will get their mits around something to do it, be it firearm, knife or motor vehicle. In saying that, the less intellectually gifted of the humans are allowed on the roads with no problem - if only the idiot drivers would take out their own kind as opposed to going for everyone around them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
A big problem i think Australia has is we cannot leave peoples pass times alone.....Ban 4x4s ban guns ban fishing ban mountain bikes etc etc

NZ and other countries are far ahead of us in this respect as they are happy to let people do things that are here "not kosher"

dirt biking 4wding etc are normal so is hunting and sporting shooting...sounds good to me

this is the thing we need to fix or even the gas guzzling Jeeps we drive will be just scrap for China.

a happy medium needs to be found and IMHO NZ is the best example of it
Another nail on the head - people have their own reaction activities - let people be as long as it doesn't interfere with others - if hunting is to happen, tell the bushwalkers to stay away for their own safety, etc (reduction of possible incidents) if bushwalkers want to hike through a hunting zone, tell the hunters to stay away, pretty simple really, it all purely boils down to idiot control. The majority of humans are rational beings that can negotiate, cull out the idiots and let society advance.