New Model for 2010 and 2011 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default New Model for 2010 and 2011

Just incase you havn't read Chrysler's 5 year product plan released today, they state that for 2010 "Exterior styling will be modified and a dramatic new interior will be put in, also a new powertrain will go in for 2011".

2011 is also Jeep’s 70th anniversary and special editions will be made for each model but this is also designated as a major modification.

Fiat diesels will power some Chrysler vehicles, the first being the Jeep Wrangler in 2010.

Start-stop (engine shutoff at idle) will be applied to the Jeep Wrangler diesel starting Q4 2010.

Jeeps will be sold with diesels in the US because they will be sold with diesels in Europe.

Incase your a mopar fan:
- Chrysler has a new logo
- Ram is now its own brand so “Dodge Ram” is the wrong term to use - dodge sell only cars
- The viper is dead again, possibly to be replaced in 2012 by a fiat derived sportscar.

Old 05-11-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This is great news for Jeep especially Wrangler - read between the lines below and maybe we get Scrambler, Hard Body Wrangler, maybe Rubicon Diesel?

Michael Manley, President and CEO Jeep® Brand, says going forward, in each SUV segment from B through E, Jeep will offer its classic Jeep styling, versatility and functionality in a fuel-efficient package with both two-wheel and all-wheel-drive options, opening up the brand to new customers. For the very important core Jeep customer base, the same package will be evolved to provide a trail rated version – with class-leading capability linked to advanced four-wheel-drive systems.
Manley goes on to say that Wrangler will remain the ultimate expression of the brand, no compromises on capability. Wrangler product reach will be extended with new derivatives and special models to respond to customer demand.
Customers will begin seeing the fruits of Jeep’s product efforts at the North American International Auto Show.

Fletch
Old 05-11-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah at first glance its good news but I wonder really if its the best way to go. Wrangler is one of the last car variants that each model can plausibly run for long time (like 10 years). The TJ did it, and others before it. The Land Rover Defenders do it too, as do Land Cruisers and Patrols. I would think car companies would be mad not to take advantage of this. Especially when a lot of people are suggesting that there is undue pressure on car companies around the world, purely due to the pressure on them to continually offer new models. The R&D involved is huge and arguably may be difficult to recoup depending on demand.

In fact I read an article about Land Rover coming up with a Defender replacement and the volume they need to sell to justify an all-new model is staggering! For LR its a different story because the Defender's design is making it increasingly hard to get past new safety standards, so they HAVE to replace it. But in the case of Jeep it doesn't seem that necessary to me. By all means upgrade the engine to meet emissions targets etc, but a new body shape etc is not necessary in my view. Its already a classic shape - they are lucky in that respect, they could justify a very long product lifecycle.
Old 05-11-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the main thing here is the fiat diesel they will use. anyone know much about fiat diesels? don't see too many fiats of any kind over here in the west.
Old 05-11-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fiat engines are as good as any euro diesel engine. Iveco are a fiat company and there are plenty of their vehicles in Aus.
Old 05-11-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep, just concerned m e a bit. to me the vm diesel isn't the most user friendly engine i have seen, and nissan's renault hand grenade engine hasn't been popular, so i was a bit concerned about another european diesel going in to a jeep.
Old 05-11-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

The 3l diesel in the grands a winner and its European