Offset Ball Joint or not? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Offset Ball Joint or not?

Hi

I reported once that I have a wheel wobble once I am going around corners (esp. if I am driving slowly in a roundabout). I already replaced the tie rod endings but the wobble remains. So I assume it s the ball joint which is causing this issue.

I checked rockauto and I found some parts which says it would be required for lifted/modified, difficult to align, or significantly off spec suspensions. My WJ has a 5inch lift and 35inch tires so I would assume this is the case.

I wonder if others have similar experience and decided to go with an offset ball joint or just with the standard and why.

Thanks for any input.
Joerg
Old 09-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

If you go with the offset ball joints, make sure the mechanic knows how to fit them, when i bought my wj they were in 90* out and gave it loads of camber
I went back to standard heavy duty ones and just set the caster to the correct specs when i put the long arms in.
Old 09-04-2018
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
I checked rockauto and I found some parts which says it would be required for lifted/modified, difficult to align, or significantly off spec suspensions. My WJ has a 5inch lift and 35inch tires so I would assume this is the case.
What other mods have you done as part of your lift? Do you have a adjustable arms, a long arm kit etc?

Quote:
I wonder if others have similar experience and decided to go with an offset ball joint or just with the standard and why.
Joerg
Have the balljoints been replaced recently? If not have you checked them for wear? In my experience you can feel some left to right play if they are badly worn.

What are you hoping to fix with offset balljoints out of curiosity?

IMO, you don't need them, you'd be better off with some good quality balljoints, I've been impressed with the Synergy balljoints in mine, they seem very solid. They are also designed for people who run large wheels, so this would be how I'd go.

If you don't have adjustable arms, caster can be rectified with adjustable arms, it will also see you replace all of the business which can also be a source of wobbles.

HTH,

Jason
Old 09-04-2018
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Hi

I reported once that I have a wheel wobble once I am going around corners (esp. if I am driving slowly in a roundabout). I already replaced the tie rod endings but the wobble remains. So I assume it s the ball joint which is causing this issue.

Thanks for any input.
Joerg
Since you’re in Bris, I’d get it checked out by Dave Thomas. Joe Kelly has a lifted WJ with 35s as well and he gets it looked at there as well doing a lot of stuff himself.

http://aawheeling.com.au
Old 09-04-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks a lot Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
What other mods have you done as part of your lift? Do you have a adjustable arms, a long arm kit etc?

Have the balljoints been replaced recently? If not have you checked them for wear? In my experience you can feel some left to right play if they are badly worn.
No, the balljoints have not been replaced. They seem to be there for a while since they blend in very well with the rest of the rust underneath . And no I do not have adjustable arms, at least not that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post

What are you hoping to fix with offset balljoints out of curiosity?

Ultimately I am trying to get rid of my wobbly wheels which is really annoying. I wanted to replace them with regular balljoints and then came across the offset and just started to wonder.

If I don't need offset even better. This makes it easier for me to change them rather than bringing the car to a mechanic.

Where did you get the Synergy from? Was this a local seller? I checked rockauto and I wanted to get some for 65 (pair upper and lower) US Dollar which sounds ok to me.

Thanks
Joerg

Last edited by JoergM; 09-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2018
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Thanks a lot Jason.
No, the balljoints have not been replaced. They seem to be there for a while since they blend in very well with the rest of the rust underneath . And no I do not have adjustable arms, at least not that I know.
Grab a wheel and see if you can feel play north/south and east/west. I'd reckon you may notice some play east/west, if you do this won't help your situation.

Take a pic of the underside of your truck specifically the front and rear control arms so we can have a look.

What does it drive like, is the steering very vague?

Quote:
Ultimately I am trying to get rid of my wobbly wheels which is really annoying. I wanted to replace them with regular balljoints and then came across the offset and just started to wonder.
I think you need to replace worn joints first rather than use an offset balljoint.

If you don't have adjustable arms, I'd also consider obtaining some of these too. The pic will help us determine what you have.

Quote:
If I don't need offset even better. This makes it easier for me to change them rather than bringing the car to a mechanic.
Still a bugger of a job in some ways, you'll need a suitable tool to do the job, they can be had for cheap off of ebay.

Quote:
Where did you get the Synergy from? Was this a local seller? I checked rockauto and I wanted to get some for 65 (pair https://www.sbroffroad.com.au/Synergy-JK-Ball-Joints-HDupper and lower) US Dollar which sounds ok to me.
I bought mine from the US as it was cheaper, was a number of years ago though when the AUD was much stronger the the USD, still worthwhile checking though.

Here are a couple of local options in descending pricing.

http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/...ball-joint-kit

http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/je...Joint-Set.aspx
Old 09-04-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Since you’re in Bris, I’d get it checked out by Dave Thomas. Joe Kelly has a lifted WJ with 35s as well and he gets it looked at there as well doing a lot of stuff himself.

http://aawheeling.com.au
Thanks Tyvokka. Unfortunately I am not in Brisbane anymore. Moved to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. But I found a decent Jeep mechanic shop close to the place where I am living.
Post New Thread  Reply