Why is it hard to Start when Cold - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2019
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

if you have ruled all that out.
Maybe have a look at the ignition switch associated with the key barrel.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 13-03-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I have to impart the bad news that a multimeter continuity test will not rule out a bad wire/intermittent wire

I have had this, I piggy backed suspect wire, and it was ok

wiggling individual wires is something to try, (when it is running) or with an assistant when cranking

if wires have been heavily stretched or bent around a sharp corner, concentrate on the real suspects. If in doubt, snip out the suspect section, and solder in a new piece with heatshrink
Old 13-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

rainman I have had the ignition in bits even had it hotwired and still no go .........
I was thinking today while I was tiling I thought not that I think my PCM is buggered but I could pull it out and fit it to the red 99 to test my PCM I could eliminate that just a thought going to go back over the wiring again have a real good look see what happens
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 14-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

Started my Search I decided to fix the upstream O2 sensor wires...I didn't know what condition they were in as they hang down near the exhaust manifold once before 2 of them melted and shorted blowing a sm fuse in the pdc which just happened to be the pcm fuse you can guess what happened ALL STOP!
a while back I fitted a new water pump and had the power steering pump off I moved the wires up and over the inlet manifold fixing the issue.....when they did the head about 8 months ago Guess What ..Guess where the Wires Ended Up?...YES!...down by the exhaust manifold again I used some thin tie wire and pulled them away from the manifold so they would never touch the manifold still hot down there I decided to Cut them inspect them lengthen and reroute the wires old brittle but ok was a bit hard to read the faded colour code I didn't have the luxury of doing one at a time .....
All fixed and covered in new heat shielding
The more I think of it the more I am inclined to pull the 96 pcm and put it in the 99 I could then test in the 99 to see if my pcm sends the ground signal to the asd relay turns off the fuel pump and starts the car ........
if so then my pcm is A.OK.Good....it must be the evil dark blue wire with the yellow stripe that runs from pin 3 to the asd relay I will just hack in near the pcm plug and run a whole new wire I think time better spent rather than trying to follow that evil wire
Also as it has been iffy on the starting for a while I have had computers in the past that didn't like booting up took a few times to start but once started went well all this until the day it no longer booted up....So I may as well I have the red 99 to test it in ..and hopefully eliminate as a suspect...
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 15-03-2019
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

If changing from a 96 (no skim) to a 99 (skim) you will need to transfer those bits across?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 15-03-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

If the 99 PCM is tried in the 96 and all else is ok, the engine should start, but cut out after two or three seconds. There's no SKIM (Sentry Key Immobiliser Module) wiring in the 96 so the key sensor can't be swapped over.

WARNING! Too many start attempts without SKIM input could brick the 99 PCM.

Trying the 96 PCM in the 99 shouldn't present any great problem. The normal recommendation (in the USA) when swapping a non SKIS (Sentry Key Immobiliser System) PCM into a SKIS equipped model is to unplug the SKIM at the steering column. I'm not sure if that is necessary with a 96/97 PCM that doesn't have SKIS capability, but I think I'd do it anyway just to be certain there is no risk of problems.
Old 15-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

No No Guys..Thanks for the input I never intended putting the 99 PCM into the 96.......
I want to put the 96 PCM into the 99 No Need to try and start the 99.... all I need is the key ON... to test for the ground pulse to the asd relay that turns the fuel pump off after priming if my 96 PCM does that in the 99 there is no need to start the 99 ...as it should flip my asd in the 96 so it must be a bad wire ? or just thought of it I might find the wire at the PCM plug Spear it with a pin or needle and check for the pulse without having to remove the PCM.....
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply