Why is it hard to Start when Cold - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I believe in the FSM diagnostics (somewhere) it states the ASD relay shuts down the fuel pump after 2 or 3 secs...and explains why

Have a look for that?

from my memory the fuel pump makes a noise for 2-3 secs, then shuts up...however if you listen up near the tank with engine running, you can hear the pump whining
Absolutely correct awg But in my case IF the Planets Align and its the right Moment in Time all the Idiot Lights act Normal on the first click the Fuel Pump turns Off after a few secs as per normal you get a beep and hey presto it STARTS! and Runs Perfectly? ..... IF! ..You Have Offended the Gods somehow or there is too much Electro Magnetic Radiation caused by Sun Spots and the Idiot Lights go Off and On Fast or Don't even come On and the Check Engine Light Flashes Flickers Flutters what ever you want to call it ... The Fuel Pump Stays ON!?..... and Guess What no Start!??????
I Could not touch the XJ today it has Doing my Head in for the last week ..................................I Made BEER
I know it is not a Short as No Fuse is Blown
it has all the Symptoms if a Bad Earth....Connection.....Flicker Flicker..Flash Flash..
I think I have to find the PCM Earth Wire and check it out also some how contort my self and look under the dash check for Bad Earths especially at the ECU..ECM might be grasping at straws But every thing that relates to the Idiot Lights ................... Also there is a lot of LPG stuff wired under there I suppose....... I have until Wed as I booked the Local Mechanic to come to My Place to Hold my Hand for a Hour...... Maybe two Heads are Better than One
Anyway enough Ranting and raving back to Drinking BEER!

_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)................................

Last edited by LuluBelle; 28-02-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 28-02-2019
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

When all the lights come on, does the horn work? Might sound silly but I had an issue years ago that the horn did not always work. I chased it down to be the earth in the steering column from memory. (No earth = No horn)
It did not make a all the dash lights come on, but from memory it triggered a few such as airbag warning etc.
I had to replace the clockspring too as it was busted, but from memory airbag light still came on intermittently until the earth was fixed.
Don't recall it having starting issues though..
Or was there something about immobilizer not working correctly if earth faulty..
- I suppose you don't have the immobilized tho if it can be hot wired.

Not much help sorry. Mine was a diesel in any case.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 28-02-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

I don't know if your 96 XJ will be pre or post facelift but on TJs there have been start issues for some when the gauges go all screwy, the problem being down to bad crank sensors. Might be worth checking the sensor resistance between the B and C or 2 and 3 terminals which should be high (over 10Kohm), and also checking the wiring. Might be worth just disconnecting first and turning on ignition to see what happens with the cluster.

Also, just a thought as I've had a problem relay recently, try swapping the fuel pump relay if you haven't done so already.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 28-02-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

[QUOTE=Jonny Jeep;1646736
Also, just a thought as I've had a problem relay recently, try swapping the fuel pump relay if you haven't done so already.[/QUOTE]

yes..try swap the ASD relay too..relays can "stay on" as a fault condition
Old 01-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

You are NOT GOING TO 'F%(#*)G! BELIVE THIS !!
I Think I Might of Solved!!! The Mystery.........................

..relays can "stay on" as a fault condition and idiot lights flash ...Bad Ground I have been saying
Today I stuck my head under the dash for a look wires every where then there is a whole separate wiring harness for the LPG.............. your kidding me I never find anything in this mess its HUGE! as I was contorting myself to get out I looked over to the kick panel more wireing and WHATS THAT!!??.............. up the top of the kick panel is the worlds smallest toggle switch ??? IMOBILIZER!!! I Bet it is.....
It Has to Be!! it is so well hidden and Non Factory
Fingers Crossed Lets FIX it Tomorrow
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 02-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

You are NOT GOING TO 'F%(#*)G! BELIVE THIS !!
PART 2

The Secret switch and the Wires to No Where!
WTF!................... I tried bypassing the switch No change I then thought follow wires maybe a short at the other end through the firewall where the hood release cable goes through under the cruise control down pass the PCM and the yellow wire Ends looks broken a long time ago and the rest is missing but the white wire keeps going into the Spot Light Harness?.....goes around a bend then exits the harness and finishes inside the front guard? ... WTF!?!
Pulled it all out did nothing anyway .....
Next Step is to look at a bunch of earth wires that connect to the engine where the oil dipstick tube bolts on to the engine I have since learned that the PCM is one of them?
Check the wires and a good clean
See What Happens Next.............. I Need a BEER!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 03-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

Next Step is to look at a bunch of earth wires that connect to the engine where the oil dipstick tube bolts on to the engine I have since learned that the PCM is one of them?
Check the wires and a good clean
.................................................!
What a absolute pain to get to ...mine has extra LPG wires pipes and shit every where eventually the 13ml undid 3 big fat earths comprising of about 6 or 7 wires of different sizes I cleaned everything with sandpaper and noticed one group of 2 wires a thick one and a smaller one the big one had a lot of exposed wire I was checking the join to the end bit donut seemed all good just a bit of tape oops where is the sm black with red stripe? Broke Off looking at it there was only a sm shiney bit must of only been connected by about 3 or 4 strands...............that would be a really good EARTH at a Serious Earth Point....!!!!!
Anyway I have to wait till tomorrow I need a connector donut thing I have some light Nava ones but they are too Light for this Serious Earth Point ......Need Heavy Duty........see what happens ....
I will end this therapy session with "I Need Another BEER!"
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply