Return of the Red 99 Sport! - Page 29 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-10-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

The Ignition Kits are at FedEx in Kentucky and are in Transit .. Ended up being $114.95 aud to my letterbox
Otherwise drinking beer and going to Barcaldine in the 96 tomorrow .... And Sweating on the post .... Bezel Time
Back to 91 Tomorrow
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by LuluBelle; 27-10-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 28-10-2020
AJOR Bronze

Did the Barcaldine run today and the 96 was Playing Up!
It had the stutters occasionally then would run good 100kph 1800rpm 110deg .. But the Stutters ? .. I think it is fuel related as it only occurs when you are up around 90 to 100 kph I does not stutter at low speeds
During one stutter I heard a engine ping like starved for fuel?
May be the 95 and 98 I put through it dislodged a lot of gunk in the fuel system? I found a new fuel filter in the shed had it for years the filter in the 96 is about 6 yrs old 20.000k I think? I will change it in the next few days
and the 96 will get a new ignition soon
I did the trip using 91 and the 215k trip at $130.9 I used $35.00
Once the 99 is on the road I might pull the fuel tank out of the 96 and clean it and put a new pump module in it
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 28-10-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I don’t like to say this, but mine did this a few months back and then one day stopped dead. Fuel pump was shot. The only replacement was an aftermarket and they have a bad rep. It’s working ok but just last month the fuel gauge stopped working (sender unit). I knew it wasn’t a good pump and I managed to find an OEM Bosch unit on Amazon (at three times the cost of the crap one), I have bought it.
Old 28-10-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Your turn to have the Gremlin.
I think with a filter change, and the tune up kits, your 96 will be purring again.

Cheers,
Old 29-10-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

with a '96, just the fuel pump itself can be replaced within the assembly, I am fairly certain it is the same as a 95, not the later model, there is a slight visual difference in appearance
Old 30-10-2020
AJOR Bronze

That's true Tony .. same for the 99 Except? In the 96 the fuel pressure regulator sits on top of the fuel pump module you can change both .. and there is a in line filter above the diff on the 99 .. Stupid!? .. there is NO in line filter? the pressure regulator is the secondary filter as well ?
That's why I replaced the whole module
End of the week and No Bezel
But that is AusPost out until next week I have had rockauto stuff via FedEx come on a Saturday morning with the local courier the bezel is coming UPS ... so is it post office to post office There has been no tracking info since last Friday the 23rd Sydney airport ..
Over at Emerald Central QLD there are 2 Locksmiths (Emerald is about 3 hrs away and have Big Shops LPG) I decided to call the first .. told me no they don't .. but the other one does I rang them and got a message saying they had been bought out by some group and I was transferred and then had to make a selection on the keypad .......... eventually speaking to this person I asked do you cut and program transponder keys stating that it was a older car 99 xj blah blah " I don't Know ? there are some cars we cant do ?... give me your phone number and I will get the Auto Tech from Emerald to give you a ring? " 2 Days Later ....
Not a Peep ... what a joke just as well I am not a desperate outback traveller
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 03-11-2020
AJOR Bronze

The 99 has pretty much returned and I have started talking about the 96 so have polluted this thread I have decided to start a new thread where I can talk about both
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply