"Carbon Flush" Injector clean - Does my JK need it? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-07-2011
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Either way is this something that is required as a long term preventitive measure?

As far as I know, fuel economy is the same since I bought it, and I don't have any idle problems.
Old 26-07-2011
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssadamsss View Post
you should run an injector cleaner through your tank every time you service...

I very much doubt jeep will charge you any where near $100 for cleaning your injectors by removing them lol, they are more likely to charge you $500 for a job like that...

jeep charging you $100 for a $15 product is more like them lol
Thanks for these comments.
Maybe I'll just do it myself if it's as simple as tipping a bottle of magic Repco stuff in the fuel tank.

One reason I am going to the dealer is for them to do the Inner Fender Liner recall. (I realise I could probably do that myself with a stanley knife)
And it's only the 2nd service and under warranty etc.
Old 26-07-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T View Post
Thanks for these comments.
Maybe I'll just do it myself if it's as simple as tipping a bottle of magic Repco stuff in the fuel tank.

One reason I am going to the dealer is for them to do the Inner Fender Liner recall. (I realise I could probably do that myself with a stanley knife)
And it's only the 2nd service and under warranty etc.
Is it under warranty??? they say every 12000 ks or 6 months, whichever comes first!!! Ask them if it is still under warranty, cos they will do the service anyway, even if it is out of warranty....... but, put a claim and they'll say, oh, you took too long to bring it in, it should have been every 6 months, not every 12!!!
Old 26-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Do everything you can to keep that warranty as long as possible...

4.88s, Chromoly ARBs, 35" MTZ, 6", Rear Discs Brakes
Headers,Air Raid TBS, intake,Tera Long Arm
Old 26-07-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mate, do the recall thing and get on with your life. these blokes get nothing from chrysler for doing these tsbs and this quick sell is a way to get some value out having your vehicle in the workshop. even do the flare cut yourself to avoid getting a hard time at the dealers. they won't miss you if all you want is the tsb done, in fact they'd rather not see you.
Old 26-07-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

My bad! I heard carbon and injectors and incorrectly assumed it would have to be diesel.
We used to use a pressure pack flush that connects into the fuel rail test point to flush petrol injectors and not fuel tank additives. You isolate the fuel pump and run the engine till the pack is empty and thats the flush. I assume the dealer would be doing this, hence the price difference.

Again, would not be using petrol tank additives, they need to be used in one swift go, ie fill tank and use the entire tank in one go, not good letting them sit in lines, orings, seal and tanks for long periods.

Matt.

PS after seeing the results of sawsall massace of some peoples inner fenders done by the dealer (apprentice), I did it myself. I used a stanly knife and neatly trimmed the little section off as per the TSB. Once its done the guard looks like it should be that shape anyway!

Last edited by Macca2801; 26-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 26-07-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is a waste of money. Like all of these things it is just snake oil. There is no independent evidence of this stuff working. I asked one of the big well known additive companies for proof that it works before I would sell it and they could not supply me with it and just reminded me how much it could add to our bottom line and my own back pocket. The way injector flushing is done is by bypassing the fuel system and fitting a pressure pack inline that the vehicle will run off for about 10-20 minutes. There is also a carbon flush machine that will help remove carbon from valves and pistons and has some useful purposes for certain vehicles that have carbon build up issues like Subaru's for example. Most dealers up sell injector/carbon flush/servicing and power steering flushes or automatic transmission flushes as it is easy money. It does not take long to do and the equipment is supplied free by the additive companies. Most vehicles during their life will not require any servicing of the fuel injectors (petrol engines) as the quality of most fuels is good. The bottles of additive you buy from any auto store are a waste of money and should only be used if you get a bad batch of fuel as they will help break down water and contaminants. The only way to clean fuel injectors is to remove them and have them ultrasonically cleaned and this is expensive about $400 for a 6cyl engine.

The dealer is not a bad dealer because they are trying to sell you this they are a business after all and are just trying to make money as most service departments are not as many think gold mines.
Post New Thread  Reply