$80 Uni joint turns into 1500 axle... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-10-2012
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
They are probably a very standard sized uni. All you need is the cup diameter & end to end distance. Then get a parts guy to look up the Spicer number.
if you get the Spicer number, best post it on here for the benefit of other members.
Just had a look, there are 3 likely unis, just need to confirm measurements.
Many have tried. They are a specific part for the JK's factory shafts.

As jktom said, the best thing to do here if budget permits is to replace with aftermarket shafts and unis, possibly RCV if the budget extends to them. The beauty of RCV as one or two guys have found out already is that when you have a problem with them (such as wear or failure) they back their warranty 100%.
Old 21-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Awhile back I was looking for new uni's and found........
Two different companies............
Hardie spicer... (lots of outlets)
Dana spicer.... (Melbourne only) but seem to have a much better access to part no's
Old 21-10-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers guys, still interested in WHAT exactly they changed ie just the uni size or if their were any other design modifications, seems silly not to be able to sourse any size uni joint. Plan at this stage is to have a chat to work fleet guy and save him $1400 by going the heavy duty RCV's. Ridiculous this kit can be half the price of MOPAR replacement. Plus hopefully Bill has them in stock and I dont have to wait 6 weeks for them like the MOPAR parts.

On the RCV's is there any maintenance required/able to be done or are they set and forget?

The other option I see is the "ten factory" upgrade for $900 1/3 the price of mopar.
Old 21-10-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Many have tried. They are a specific part for the JK's factory shafts.

As jktom said, the best thing to do here if budget permits is to replace with aftermarket shafts and unis, possibly RCV if the budget extends to them. The beauty of RCV as one or two guys have found out already is that when you have a problem with them (such as wear or failure) they back their warranty 100%.
I dont know what your background is Yom, but rest assured the uni will not be a special. Spicer do not do that.
In my work I am regularly having to track down unusual parts for my equipment. If you look at the USA uni sites there are some that list the required uni, It is one of 3 specific unis. There may be other reasons that the shafts were updated.

If you pay more than $50 each for them you are being ripped of big time. Should be ~ $20 -$30 each.

Last edited by layback40; 21-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 21-10-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallpieman View Post
Awhile back I was looking for new uni's and found........
Two different companies............
Hardie spicer... (lots of outlets)
Dana spicer.... (Melbourne only) but seem to have a much better access to part no's
Hardie Spicer is an Australian company.

Dana Spicer is a US company originally Spicer Universal co. ~ They made the shafts.
Old 21-10-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dana spicer number is 5004891 (someone has kindly listed it in the replacement parts section of this forum) but searching for this can't seem to find anyone local that stocks it, at least not listed on their website, does anyone know who would stock these in aus? Think I'll still go the upgraded shafts but mioght as well "practice" what doesn't look too hard on the you tube videos trying to change a couple unis and keep the stock shafts as spares.
Old 21-10-2012
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95xjcherokee View Post
dana spicer number is 5004891 (someone has kindly listed it in the replacement parts section of this forum) but searching for this can't seem to find anyone local that stocks it, at least not listed on their website, does anyone know who would stock these in aus? Think I'll still go the upgraded shafts but mioght as well "practice" what doesn't look too hard on the you tube videos trying to change a couple unis and keep the stock shafts as spares.
Wayne at Jeep Ford has them in stock

Clockwork Orange 1983 CJ8 work in progress,

Red 2009 JKU Auto V6
Sprintex Super Charger from JeepFord

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Post New Thread  Reply