XJ: Fraz's Budget Build with JK Diffs - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2013
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

That is a good amount for bump stop compression. I run the same with no problems and tested it using a nylon tie on the shock shaft, I run without boots, so I could see how much of the shock was being used..

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 16-11-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Bought a full set of second hand RE Super-Flex short arms off rob.rock and fitted them up last night. Then proceeded to take it for it's first drive off-road with the guys from work.

Got off the main road, aired down to 15psi on the 31's (could have gone lower, 15 didn't bag them out too much) and disconnected the sway-bar. I've gotta say, I was pretty impressed with how it all went. A few of the guys commented on how stable it was, and it was definitely different to driving the Triton off-road. No more picking the perfect line to keep the front wheels on the ground. Just point, shoot and maybe a little left-foot brake to keep it in check.

Next up - Drop boxes and longer shocks on the front (again). Then SYE and CV-style double-cardan tail shaft.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!
Old 02-01-2014
Established Member

Some new bits and pieces have been added, and I've also taken it for a full-days off-roading now too! Still getting used to driving it off-road, as the body tends to follow what the rear wheels are doing, where I'm used to the body following the IFS setup in the triton.

First off, I fitted up some RE Swaybar Disconnects. Need to relocate the "disconnected" fob, as it scrubs against the tyre at full compression.

Anyway, I had to re-do the cooling system as the original radiator was leaking like a sieve. I would have to top the overflow bottle up every day, asd it was leaking from a couple of different places. I've since installed an ADRAD HD Copper/Brass 2-row radiator, and it's fixed the leaking issues. The original rad in mine was already a copper/brass by the looks of it, as it only ever overheated when stationary. Because of this, I've also replaced the viscous fan coupling with a Dayco unit. The fact that I can actually hear the fan now is a big improvement over the original, and it doesn't go over 105 in traffic either!

While I had everything apart, I fitted a 7-row auto cooler in front of the A/C auxiliary fan. Now there's no issues with the auto overheating in stop-start traffic, causing it to slip and carry on especially in reverse. I've also wired up the aux. fan to a separate switch so that I can turn it on whenever I want to keep the engine and auto cool.

Original auto cooler above the new 7-row unit:

All fitted up, sits nice and snug behind the grille:

Fancy wiring for A/C fan:

Next round for the cooling system is to replace the water pump, thermostat and housing with High-flow ones from Hesco. I'll also (hopefully) be fitting up a fiberglass cowl to the bonnet to help improve the engine bay temps. I'm currently halfway through installing the new audio system though, so that may take a while before I'm back on track.

Last edited by fraz; 02-01-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 02-01-2014
Established Member

Also, a few action shots from the Lithgow trip with the SJC:

Old 29-01-2014
Established Member

Latest edition to the budget build is a set of Adjustable 2" Patrol rear shocks. Pulled them off a vehicle at work as the customer wanted gas-charged shocks instead of the foam-cell adjustables, and they'd only been on his vehicle 3-4 months. They're a little longer than the OE's on closed length at 415mm, however it's nothing a 2" bump-stop spacer can't fix. Open length is around 650mm, so have removed the brake-line from the mount for now and cable-tied the hard-line further back at the bend.

Down-Travel with old shocks-

Old vs. New

Down-travel with new shocks-

Brake line mod-

Also in the process of installing the new stereo set-up. 4x 6.5" 90W RMS component speakers and an 8" 300W sub in the back. Powered by 2 amps; door speakers run through a 4x100W amp and the sub has it's own 300W monoblock. Topped off with a Pioneer bluetooth and USB single din head-unit, it should be nice and clear at all volumes.

Last edited by fraz; 29-01-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 29-01-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Go Jeep has done an extension bracket to sort out your temp fix http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBrakeExtension.htm
Old 29-01-2014
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Go Jeep has done an extension bracket to sort out your temp fix http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBrakeExtension.htm
I've got a 5" extended rear brake line on order, just waiting for the local enzed to get the fittings in stock. Also have a couple of extension brackets pulled off other vehicles, so will have a look at maybe adapting one of them to suit.

Also, as an aside, what length shocks do people run with a 6" lift? Mine's currently sitting at 3", but will be going to 5" shortly with 33" tyres, so bump-stops will be further extended in the front to suit. Am trying to get away with as little guard-chopping as possible, while still maintaining as much travel as possible.

Post New Thread  Reply