!Mega urgent: battery for JK - anyone got one in melb? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default !Mega urgent: THOUGH Battery was stuffed but doesnt seem to be (changed topic title)

***UPDATE*** See my last post, dont think its the battery thats the issue.

So my jk battery screwed up, cant start at all unless i jump it but its pointless going to-from work when there is nobody around by the time i finish work to jump from!

Wondering if anyone has replaced their original jk battery with an aftermarket one and still has their original aside soemwhere. I need one on the cheap to last me until about sept. then ill get a yellow top or something like that (ill worry about that later). Hoping someone here has their original lying about and wants to let it go for not alot (or trade for something)

Just worst timing as im swamped with expenses this month before I travel. Only after melbourne people. Ill come to you

Also, is the size jk specific or pretty much universal between all other models? Any help would be greatly appreciated as im pretty desperate.

Cheers guys. BTW: ITS FOR A RUBICON 07 MODEL SO PETROL, THEY ARE THE SAME BATTERY FROM THEN UP TO NOW

Last edited by Sethgun; 29-06-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: found out its not the battery
Old 28-06-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a v6 commodore battery will fit just fine, mine died on xmas day and I was fortunate enough to get a marshalls guy who knew his stuff. It was about $ 160.00 from memory, and that was including a public holiday surcharge.
Old 28-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

really? So a v6 commodore battery went in there no probs and did the trick? Are you still using it and does it still work fine? Any accessories hooked up to it?

Also, what model commodor was it off and what brand?

Last edited by Sethgun; 28-06-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 28-06-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you're after a yellow top, they're actually a goodyear product, so any goodyear tyre and battery shop will have one.
Old 28-06-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My factory battery died in early 09 and replaced it with a Supercharge Gold brand. As I've used these batteries in numerous vehicles over a number of years, ( and the OEM was nothing special) I couldn't see an issue with using one in the Jeep. The one in the JK is a MF50 600cca rc 105mins. Cost at the time( through the warehouse in Bris) around $140.00
Could be a suitable replacement if the ol wallet is a bit anorexic........

PS, The vic office is in Sunshine
Old 28-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vic office in Sunshine? Champion, thats 5 mins up the road frome me Same dimensions and does it bolt down?
Old 28-06-2010
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Seth dont stress, you will certainly be able to get a standard Lead acid battery to work...not ideal but work fine without problems.

First...physical dimentions...you can measure you battery in height, width and length and get the matching size.

Two, post type and locations..you want what they call SAE posts, the type that the clamps fit on so they can attach. Two is the location of the positive and negative post. You have options of positive front - neg rear and both on the RHS, then swap to LHS and then swap Neg front-pos rear and again swap left to right.

After all that you then need to match the size of the battery to the load you engine requires to start.

Got a feeling yours is about 600CCA (600 cold cranking amps). Get anything substantially less than that and you will have problems starting in cold weather.

Really, ANY decent accessory place or battery place can help you with all these requirements and get the righ battery at less than $200. Additionally the EXIDE website or catalogue has heaps of the same info and a vehicle specific application guide.

Not quite finished....for a temp fix, get the minimum but you have the options (funds willing) to upgrade and use maintenance free, spiral and gel cell (AGM) for heaps more capacity for the available dimentions of the battery cradle.

Unfortunately batteries are not simple and there are heaps of factors to choosing the right battery for your vehicle and YOU...but I hope this helps in finding a short and long term solution.

Matt