XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 37 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Hey Swampy, those headlights look great, and look like a really good upgrade with much better night vision. I am just curious on two points. Are they made for cars to drive on the left so you dont blind oncoming traffic? Have you had anyone flash you? And, did they fit straight up into the housing, or was there a bit of playing around.

Thanks again for the pics.. looking good,
Cheers,
Old 10-04-2017
Established Member

Liked 122 Times in 79 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Hey Swampy, those headlights look great, and look like a really good upgrade with much better night vision. I am just curious on two points. Are they made for cars to drive on the left so you dont blind oncoming traffic? Have you had anyone flash you? And, did they fit straight up into the housing, or was there a bit of playing around.

Thanks again for the pics.. looking good,
Cheers,
Thanks mate, not sure if there made for right hand drive or not but I have not been flashed yet, there pretty good for driving at night and make driving in the rain a hell of a lot better I can see the road now I've adjusted mine so they dont blind oncoming traffic

The right hand side one isnt quite the same as the left hand one

There a straight fit no mucking around

Last edited by swampy; 10-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 19-04-2017
AJOR Gold

OK, took the old girl for a bit of 4WDing out in the dunes and on the beach south of Mandurah WA. Temp about 25C. Put her in 4WD "Part Time", both air lockers on, 1st gear of the Auto.

She went really well. Even my 11 y.o boy had a drive along the beach. Very thick, heavy deep sand. On this run i could not be bothered to air the tyres down, so she was sinking alot, but powered through. 90% of the time, the temp never got over half way, but a few times when i was really pushing it, the temp went up to 3/4, and on one occasion when we nearly got stuck, the beast hit the redline.

I also blew a seal out of the rear ARB air locker somewhere, as i can hear it and the compressor kept running on. That is something i have to look at.

All in all, a pretty good first run. I do need some tyre deflators, a snatch strap, some tools etc.. to take on these runs.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 20-04-2017
AJOR Gold

I still have to look at what went wrong with my rear locker.. but i am sure its a simple oring or airline fix.

I need some tools and a rescue kit while i am out bush. I am on a tight budget, as mining is tough at the moment, and WA is not in a good position.

I have found the 4WD Supacenter to sell the stuff that you want at great prices. May not be the best quality, but it gets it done cheap.

Here is the recovery set i am thinking of.. its got all the fruit i need. As i work as a rigger, the snatch block and extension sling could come in really handy. You can run your own winch cable out and double it back to the chassis. Then you use the snatch block and 20M extension strap to get you to a tree or attachment point. You now have a 2:1 purchase giving you about 8 tonnes of pulling power!!
It also comes with the quick tyre pressure down gauge that i need, and a shovel etc.. not bad for a hundred bucks.

The tool box doesnt look too bad for the price either..

I took the XJ out for a drive tonight and realized how yellow and useless the driving lights really are. I could play around with harnesses etc, but the LED lights draw heaps less power and would negate the need to swap harnesses. I have put in a bid on some of those fancy LED lights that Swampy fitted. I was going to get the LED globes, but with the fans etc.. there is not a lot of room behind the lights.. so i am going to give these a try and adjust them so i dont blind anyone. I have noticed so many cars on the road now with this style of headlight.

I have also noticed how cheap the recovery tracks are now. You can pay about $300 for two plastic recovery tracks, for when you get bogged, but now there are companies such as XBull offering kits for about $80 delivered. Considering they can all get stolen, destroyed etc.. i think it is worth considering the cheaper kits.. opinions??

Any reviews on these items appreciated. I know the top of the wazza gear is better etc.. but i am after value for money and i am on a tight budget.

For about 300 bucks i would be well on my way to be ready for hitting the bush..

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 20-04-2017
AJOR Gold

Old 20-04-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

[QUOTE=alexbrown64;1609363]

I also blew a seal out of the rear ARB air locker somewhere, as i can hear it and the compressor kept running on. That is something i have to look at.

/QUOTE]

dont like to be the bearer of bad tidings ole son, but that ARB diff lock seal is a BIG design fault/problem from what I recall

100psi inside the diff vs 2 nitrile o-rings, that rub AT ALL times, eventually there is only one loser, apparently any incorrect setup in the backlash can severely exacerbate this problem.

From what i recall from reading, I think you have to pull the diff centre, (could be wrong)..Google will tell ya
Old 21-04-2017
AJOR Gold

Thanks AWG, i have heard that the seals could be a problem, so i was suspecting that.

But, i crawled underneath this morning with the compressor on full blast, and the air was coming out of a hole in the hose. I had the hose protected by flexible hose conduit, but it burnt through while rubbing the exhaust. Just touches it under certain conditions.. so my fault and i will re-route or cable tie it further out the way, after i do the repair.
Edit: The ARB hose is 5mm.. super hard to get connectors. I found some in the UK, so i ordered two for $15 bucks inc delivery. Otherwise there is an ARB repair kit.. bloody dear for a bit of hose and 1 connector.

So, i am in the process of ordering some recovery gear, and then back out for another bash. Next trip i will be deflating the tyres to about 20psi and disconnecting the front sway bar to check articulation.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 21-04-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: update
Post New Thread  Reply