WH stuck in 4WD Low - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-03-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Default WH stuck in 4WD Low

Today a tow truck picked up my normally trusty 2006 WH Grand Cherokee (anniversary model with Quadra Drive) from a dairy farm near Kenilworth, Qld. I had engaged 4WD Low to get up a hill but it would not re-engage high range. I am very familiar with the normal procedure of the vehicle in neutral and lift the T bar. The 4WD light should flash and go out but it just stays on. Anyone experienced this problem. A mechanic in Kenilworth is presently trying to locate the source of the fault.
Old 21-03-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

With the engine off but ignition on you are able to shift hi/lo. Can you hear the shift motor activate?

Because the dash lights indicate the shift has been successful I fear you have a T/C internal problem.

The shift motor and mode sensor are one assembly, I suppose its possible that spline has striped out of the shift motor.

Here is a link to the service manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tub5m6ked6...e%20manual.PDF
Old 21-03-2016
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

If it is the drive motor you will need to manually shift the T/C into high as a new T/C motors default position is high range.
Old 22-03-2016

Thanks for your info Clarky. I forwarded the link to the manual and comments to the mechanic. I just received news that the shift from low to high and visa versa is operational now. They cleared it through the computer somehow. I don't yet know what fault codes they had but just happy that all is ok. Thanks again.
Old 27-03-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

It could be that the actuator motor has gone past the programmed lock stage

That happened with mine because the actuator drives a 3 pronged fork which engages a fork which pushes the slider to lock it

When the clutch pack gets worn the actuator can go past it point where it wont return

If thats the case it can be reset but you need the proper tool to force a reset

The actuator motors do get problems when I had to get a new transfer case the guy I got it from said he sells quite a few actuator motors

The actuator motor works all the time moving traction from front to rear so even though you think you have rarely used it and it should be okay its working all the time
Old 03-10-2016
Established Member

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

HI Guys

mine doesn't seem to come out of high 4x4, after just going on the beach and then come off the beach i can still feel it driving the fronts wheels, you feel the extra weight on the steering and having to use a little more throttle to move, and it doesn't seem to come out untill i pull the no.25 fuse or let it sit over night .
any ideas would be great
Old 03-10-2016
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

The transmission in these things as "adaptive" it may just need time to adjust back to normal driving